Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Official Update Thread - RDR Missing Digital Channels

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Sony Official Update Thread - RDR Missing Digital Channels

Hi everyone,

Just an update on the current EPG issue that seems to be affecting a significant amount of Sony & Pioneer DVD recorders.

Models potentially affected are:

RDR-HXD770/870/970/1070/790/890/995/1095

It appears that something has changed in the way that these devices are receiving EPG data. So we are already trying to understand what has happened and how this can be rectified, realising that a large number of people have been affected.

Latest Update 22/07/2013 15:41

Sony has been working with the broadcasters to try to work out why this issue has occurred and how to remedy it. With your help Sony has discovered that clearing down potentially corrupt broadcast data (EPG) stored within the machine will remedy this issue.

Whilst we continue to work with the broadcasters, and ahead of any final statement, we recommend the following steps to remedy this issue:

1/.

i). Turn off the DVD/HDD recorder at the mains (ie remove the plug from the wall)

ii). Wait 30 seconds

iii). Reconnect the power.

The set may now work correctly.

However, in certain cases it may be necessary to carry out a full factory reset as follows (please note this will return the product to its original out-of-box 'Easy Set Up' position so you will need to set-up the product as if it were new):

2/.

i). Make sure the DVD/HDD recorder is turned 'on'

ii). Remove any DVD disc from the machine and close the drawer.

iii). Press and hold the "Stop" button, then press and release the "on/standby" button, then release the "Stop" button (ON THE RECORDER, not the remote)

iv). The product is then turned 'off' and all settings are reset to factory default, with all potentially corrupt 'tuning' and 'EPG' data removed.

v). The DVD/HDD recorder will now need to be re-tuned and set up following the step-by-step on screen instructions - Note: Choose "Digital Guide" rather than "Guide Plus" at the relevant stage of the set-up (Guide Plus is no longer broadcast).

In the unlikely event that you still experience difficulties, please contact the Sony consumer helpline on 0844 8466 555 or for more info visit: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/topics/RDR_HN

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Drewde
Administrator

Hi all,

We understand that the EPG issue in the Manchester area is now resolved again. As you probably know, the EPG contains information from both nationwide and regional channels, and receives this information via several different feeds. When a feed isn’t sent in the usual way, it causes some recorders to malfunction. We have requested that the different parties involved investigate the situation and together find a long term solution.

We would appreciate your support to further flag these issues (if and when they occur) so that we can quickly inform the relevant parties and work together on a solution for the impacted area and its customers.

Thanks and kindest regards,

The Sony community team

View solution in original post

195 REPLIES 195
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Any future official updates from Sony will be posted in this thread!!!

Thanks
Nico
Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)
Eillsn
Explorer

Will await further info, thank you.

Please hurry with this; off on holiday on Thursday and want to set video before we go!
stevenbartley
Explorer

The French fix worked for me.

Prior to trying this fix I tried to update the firmware from version 1.26.

The update disk loaded and ejected the tyar after only 15 or so seconds, I managed to remove the disk just before the draw closed. The display flickred Updare 2, Then the recorder shut down.

I checked the firmware to see it was still at version 1.26.

I tried this again after the fix and the same happened.

Have Sony stopped firmware updates until this problem is correctly fixed?

Catmambo
Contributor

There hasn't been a firmware update for these products for almost 2 years, so very unlikley this has triggered it. As per top post, this is likely down to EPG data.

profile.country.GB.title
stevied

At last, a response. I would like to know why it has taken all this time for a responce from Sony?

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Stevied - one of the mods did reply yesterday, but due to the numbers of new threads being started, his response may have been buried. Rest assured we are on the case however.

pewrigh38

very true, it was pascale_f that replied to quite a few posts about it
mckever52
Explorer

It is strange that I have 2 Sony recorders and only one is affected.