Join now - be part of our community!

HDR-AS100V Action Cam - Loop recording

profile.country.en_GB.title
seboyad

HDR-AS100V Action Cam - Loop recording

Are we ever going to get a firmware update to allow loop recording on the AS100?

I have a couple of them for cycling and want to fit one in the car,but the lack of a loop feature is a problem.

I see the new AS200 and much lesser specced devices from other manufacturers has this function, so I don't see why the AS100 can't be updated.

The AS100 is a very good device and I don't think I should have to replace them to get a very simple function.

Can someone at Sony please comment.

10 REPLIES 10
mikedefieslife
Explorer

It will never come.

Sony has a habit of completely ignoring user feedback unlike say Fuji, or Samsung.

We're still waiting for a firmware update for the A7 camera series to allow us to set min shutter speed when using auto ISO.

Instead what Sony will do is add the feature to a new product and expect you to buy that instead. Of course most people won't since they'll have already moved on to a competitor.

seboyad

I suspect you're right.

My past experiences seem to suggest this is a pattern that after about 18 months max. there's very little hope of a firmware update of any sort.

I have to admit that I have seen a similar sluggish response to firmware changes on my Samsung devices too.

it's probably a function of the product cycles being so short these days and the effort required to support perfectly serviceable "legacy" devices not being worth it for manufacturers. Just flog some new kit to the punter.

seboyad

Still no sign of that elusive update we seek.  :pray:

seboyad

Go on Sony, how about an early Christmas present.

seboyad

Will 2016 be the year we get that update?

After all it is the 80th anniversary of Sony co-founder Masaru Ibuka opening his electronics shop in Tokyo!!

mikedefieslife
Explorer

I'm buying a gopro instead. Sony just doesn't care about it's customers. Not the loop recording thing, just in general. Also going to sell my A7 and switch to Fuji who've been great at updating there firmware. 

bb2336
New

Buying Sony HDR-AS100V was the worst decision ever. The battery sucks, the 32 GB memory doesnt last for 2 hours. I should have spent that money on a Go-Pro.

seboyad

That's strange, both my AS100s get 5 and a half hours recording using Sandisk 64Gb cards at 1080p 50fps.  Maybe download one of the many card utilities to test it.

Also, 2 hours is just about achievable on both as long as I disable the wifi (gps on) with no stabilisation, and the temperature doesn't drop too much. That's after daily use for a year, so some battery performance drop is expected.

Going back to the loop rec thing.  I'm wondering if I can somehow load the AS200 firmware onto one of them.  Obviously, this is very risky, but I'm only thinking about it 🙂

seboyad

Hey hey, Sony's 70th anniversary.  Could this be the year we get a little firmware gift?  (Don't get me started on the firmware of my 2014 4K TV :rolling_eyes: )