Join now - be part of our community!

A6000 stop camera from rotating images

profile.country.GB.title
SkydivingRich
New

A6000 stop camera from rotating images

Please can someone tell me how to stop the camera auto rotating images.

I photograph skydiving and am rarely upright, I want the image to be the same landscape orientation at all times. preview, after downloading onto pc etc.

I have tried a few settings but nothing seems to keep it the same way.

Help.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @SkydivingRich and welcome to the community :slight_smile:

I've looked into this for you and received the following information from one of our product experts:

For in-camera rotation, you can turn this off. This is through Menu > Playback > Display Rotation > Off.

However, gyro sensors inside the camera are trying to work out if you are shooting in the portrait or landscape orientation and these cannot be turned off. This is written into the EXIF data of the file, so it depends what the software being used to view the images does. For example, just using Windows Explorer on my PC, the files do not rotate but if I use our Image Data Converter then it does try to rotate them for viewing. So it’s down to the software you are using for viewing.

One solution might be to use an EXIF editor, here you can do batch-processing and you may be able to either batch edit the orientation or if you batch edit the EXIF in general it might reset them to landscape – though you would have to check this point.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Cass

profile.country.GB.title
SkydivingRich
New

I thought that might be the case.

Very frustrating.

Is there a way to physically stop the gyros? taking them out or whatever?

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

I'm just checking this for you @SkydivingRich and will get back to you once I have an answer to share.

profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi again,

Unfortunately there’s no way to stop this.  Modifying the hardware is not recommended as you will lose your warranty and camera might not work properly afterwards.

Cheers,

Cass