Join now - be part of our community!

A6600

profile.country.GB.title
yerpal
Explorer

A6600

I put a review of my new A6600 somewhere as invited by Sony but all links to it draw a blank. I'm guessing maybe bad publicity is strictly NO PUBLICITY?

Anyway, I'm returning to photography after many years and wrote in my review about the insanely complex menu system on the camera. I've had ridiculous suggestions like stick it in Auto or Program but I purchased it to take great creative pictures after watching endless videos about it's capabilities.

Question: Does anyone else think the menu and overlap and bazillion options bewildering or is it just me? I wish I could understand just half of the settings then I could set about creating a personal menu, ignoring the remaining features

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @yerpal,

is this your review?

latest review from the sony.co.uk product page of the a6600 camera.latest review from the sony.co.uk product page of the a6600 camera.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
yerpal
Explorer

Thank you, the fact I couldn't find it after extensive searching kind of proves a point! Things need to be intuitive nowadays not overly complex. Fine for people who have the luxury of time to spend looking

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @yerpal,

@yerpal  schrieb:

Thank you, the fact I couldn't find it after extensive searching kind of proves a point! 

it actually doesn't - it is the first review to show up if you go to the review section on the a6600 product page (default sort is "most recent").

So I have to disagree with you.

Proof:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-6600/reviews-ratings

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
yerpal
Explorer

Everything is easy to find if you know where to look for it, maybe I looked before it passed scrutiny so I'll scrub the hint that it wasn't listed however that doesn't help or address my point that the camera is as easy to navigate for a new owner as a space shuttle. This is interchangeable lens camera aimed at enthusiasts not pros and with that in mind if you think this is intuitive then the camera market will continue to evaporate. This isn't a point scoring exercise my friend but an observation based on me purchasing thousands of pounds worth of Sony products recently. I can't see me grabbing this for day trips and family gatherings. I will continue to use may iPhone which takes better pics with each encarnation.

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

You can use a camera for years and then stumble across a new setting or feature, that's the joy I find in photography.

For the most part, the various modes each default to a useable setting and with each mode you can indeed change various functions. And yes the main system has its own settings for image capture and output.

I would always suggest using the main camera settings first, to set the images you want to capture, then explore each mode and change settings here and there to fine tune the image you think is best. It will take time, but in the end you'll welcome having so many settings to utilize as you wish.

profile.country.GB.title
yerpal
Explorer

I purchased the camera with along with a couple of Sony zooms and Sigma's 40mm 1.4 to travel with on my motorcycle with the small form factor and high quality kit ticking my boxes but its just too complicated. I want to stop and quickly capture what I see not spent an age before each shot adjusting settings and reading through menus. I'm not blaming the camera and accept that it sits perfectly between point and shoot and fully manual options but the menus aren't intuitive and if I am still discovering new features after having used the camera for a long time then I would find that annoying rather than enjoyable. Sorry to sound so negative but it doesn't do what I want it to. I will explore Fuji's ST4 with it's more familiar and intuitive top dials arrangement which may better suit an old snapper like me 

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @yerpal,

@yerpal  schrieb:

I want to stop and quickly capture what I see not spent an age before each shot adjusting settings and reading through menus.

then just select "intelligent auto" and be done with it.

You usually set the camera up once when you first unbox it, after that all you do is use the mode dial and set up your shutter-speed, ISO and white balance - all which are automatically set in intelligent auto mode.

https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1940/v1/en/contents/TP0002685081.html

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
madge115

hi nic  could not have put it better than that well done  madge115

profile.country.GB.title
yerpal
Explorer

Yes he put it much better than you were able to.