Join now - be part of our community!

A7/A7R light leak issues

SOLVED
alwhite40

A7/A7R light leak issues

Is anyone here in the UK suffering from the infamous light leak issue with their A7/A7R?

There is a thread here where people are complaining about the issue: http://community.sony.com/t5/Alpha-NEX-Cameras/A7-A7R-Light-leaks/td-p/254835

I posted my own findings there too.

"I have the light leak issue on my new A7.  I tested with the 28-70 kit lens (lens cap on), ISO 25600, 30s.  I'm certain it is the mount causing the issue.

I firstly took a shot with the mount's infamous 3 o'clock position facing out of the window towards a bright sky, and I got the familiar crescent of light in the corner of the shot.

When I repeated the test, but with my finger wrapped around the 3 o'clock position of the mount to block the light, there was no light leak.

I did this three times and the result was the same.

The question is what to do now.  I kind of wish I hadn't done the test, as the issue is unlikely to affect any of the type of photography I do, but it is an issue that shouldn't have got past QC and does slightly dent my confidence in the overall build quality of the camera.  How does this impact weather sealing, for example?  If there is a gap for light to get through, then surely moisture can get through too.

I could return the A7 for a refund while I can and wait it out to see what happens, or I could simply ignore it and carry on.  Ignoring it would probably send the wrong message to Sony, that I'm willing to put up with poor design/quality control, so right now I'm leaning towards sending it back..."

I would be interested to hear Sony UK's position on the issue.  Are they aware of the exact causes and are they aware of any possible fixes?

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
alwhite40

I had to return the camera for a replacement anyway, as the mount was making an annoying creaking sound when even a tiny amount of pressure was put on the side of a lens.  Whether that was related to the light leak issue, I don't know.

The replacement camera does not creak, so I'm happier now.  I haven't tested the new one for light leak yet, but I'm not even sure I want to.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Bieomax

Have you thought of sending it in under warrenty? and also sending them details of how and when this happens.

also have you tried using abit of black insulation tape on the parts of the body where you think its coming from to see if it is the part in question? just to rule out that its not within the lens ?

alwhite40

I had to return the camera for a replacement anyway, as the mount was making an annoying creaking sound when even a tiny amount of pressure was put on the side of a lens.  Whether that was related to the light leak issue, I don't know.

The replacement camera does not creak, so I'm happier now.  I haven't tested the new one for light leak yet, but I'm not even sure I want to.

profile.country.GB.title
Dayve2014

Hi,

I tested my a7r by setting the iso to maximum, attaching the Sony 55mm lens with it's lens cap on and shining a small torch up close at various areas around the lens mount in a pitch black room for 20 seconds. I found that the leak only appeared when the torch shone near the white dot on the lens. I tried other areas without such a leak. I did notice that the attached lens had more slack when compared to my canon lens / body (far more, in fact, and made a creaking noise too!)

Here's a link to the image:

http://www.photographybyward.co.uk/a7r/