Join now - be part of our community!

a7r restart bug

theSNEW
Explorer

a7r restart bug

my a7r occasionally restarts itself (or something else that looks like a restart) while shooting. the hud disapears, the exposure goes bright and i have to wait a few moments before i can start again. i'm running up-to-date firmware (body v3.2, lens v2) and this didn't happen on previous firmware builds. it has meant losing many shots while working.

on another note, why do Sony never respond here? this is an official forum for support and their lack of presence here is appalling. we've all spent significant amounts of money on Sony equipment expecting a good experience and proper support when things aren't right. I myself have posted here 3 times in a few years, and none of my issues have been acknowledged by Sony. very poor customer service.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Bruce_G
New

I have this same problem.

In about 2 hours of shooting this past weekend, the camera rebooted itself four times. The settings are always messed up badly after it returns from a reboot.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @Bruce_G and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

Do you have the latest firmware installed?

Also are you using the original Sony batteries? If not can you check to see if this

still happens with the Sony ones inserted?

If this doesn't help I'm afraid you will probably have to send it for repair.

Is it still under warranty?

jdmvd80
New

I have a the 7R II model and I have the same problem. I think it started happening since the last firmeware update but not sure. When I shoot it reboots at the beggening in the first 30 minutes until it warms up. It reboots at least 4 times and it really slowes me down. I also wish Sony aswered to our requests. Its a great camera hope I dont start regreating it

profile.country.GB.title
Bruce_G
New

Yes. I have the latest firmware installed. I have never used anything but an official Sony battery. 
I have also done a factory reset (multiple times)

Eventually I was able to talk to a human at Sony. I was informed that because I was using the camera at a temperature below 32 deg F, that I am not using the camera according to specification and they have no responsibility. I live in Traverse City, MI, on the 45th parallel. If you google average temperature data for my city, you will see that the average temperature here is at or below 32 F for SIX MONTHS OF THE YEAR!!! So, apparently I'm not supposed to use my camera outdoors for half of the year. I had actually purchased the camera for the purpose of photgraphing snowflakes. I wanted to use a Canon MP-E 65mm lens, but my Nikon cameras cannot be adapted to use a Canon lens. I could have bought a Canon, but I had a Sony NEX-7 that I absolutely love, so I went with the full frame Sony rather than the Canon. Apparently, that was not a good idea. I have been nothing but disappointed with the A7R Mk ii. I still love my NEX-7 though