Join now - be part of our community!

A99 RAW Files Skewed Rotation

alrange
Explorer

A99 RAW Files Skewed Rotation

My A99 has suddenly developed a new feature!  Any image captured in RAW is now skewed.  By skewed I mean it has rotated 3.5 degrees in a clockwise rotation leaving the canvas around it white...  I have checked for the issue using JPG format and no issue so it only happens on a RAW capture and in both vertical and horizontal orientation.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?  Have also tried a range of different lens and get the same issue.

see examples:

_-62.jpg

_-2-26.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
alrange
Explorer

Switched format to RAW + JPG - see attached.  Raw file rotated 3.5 degrees clockwise and JPG perfectly ok - 

_-2-27.jpg_-64.jpg

profile.country.BE.title
Portmixus
Hero

If you take a picture in RAW and you review the picture on the camera, is it skewed on the rear of the screen?

If not, I think it has more to do with software you are using on your pc. Maybe you should look deeper into that? :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply Portmixus

Firstly no picture review on the camera LCD is fine but then it would be as it uses a JPG thumbnail anyway so the RAW skewing wouldn't show there.

Secondly have just done a quick test to see if is software related..

1.  Opened RAW image in IDC and it looks fine - horahh

IDC.JPG

2. Opened Raw image in Photoshop CC - it's skewed

CS6.JPG

3 Opened RAW image in Lightroom 6 - it's skewed

lightroom.JPG

Conclusion - Adobe has changed something with their RAW converter which means A99 RAW files get skewed clockwise by 3.50 degrees 

Could someone else test this theory to see if it's just me that has an issue with A99 RAW files in Adobe products please?

profile.country.BE.title
Portmixus
Hero

What I meant is that a jpeg is always derived from a raw file, so if a raw file would be skewed, the jpeg would be to, even if it were only the thumbnail.

But as expected, it's the software on the pc :wink:

I have a A99 and LR6, I have no such problems. I guess something happens during import? (auto skew or something?) Did you play with skewing options lately or panorama-modes with adobe? Just thinking out loud.

The skew is each picture exactly the same amount? 

Do you have another camera with raw files that you could import or view on your pc?

No havent made any changes to LR, not even sure there is an auto skew and not changed anything on camera that could skew it...  Yes they are all skewed/rotated by exactly the same amount 3.50 degrees clockwise.... its like the spirit level seems to have malfunctioned somehow - but it cant be camera related if the RAW image is fine in IDC so must be an adobe issue....

It cant be an import issue in LR 6 because opening up the RAW file straight into CC PS also shows the skew - I have also tried earlier versions of LR and PS and same issue - bonkers!!

Have tried and tested it with several new RAW files, switiching orientation and lens  but all the same skewed RAW files in Adobe software.

alrange
Explorer

Just had an idea - going to import the RAW images on my laptop and see if it reproduces the same result, BRB

alrange
Explorer

OK, imported on different PC same version as LR and Adobe Camera RAW (9) as Desktop and no issue so must be machine specific and some setting related to the desktop installation - am wondering if its graphic card related though that seems a long shot but know that the updates to LR6 have been troublesome with certain video cards... am at loss right now!

alrange
Explorer

Update, just tried on it my old A900 to see if issue exists on RAW images from that and NOPE!  so am now at a loss...

A99 RAW images skew in Adobe Software but not IDC or native explorer

A900 RAW images no issues in Adobe software...

If its camera model related then surely it has to be something to do with how it's reading that particular camera's RAW file, serial number related too but given the same skewed RAW image imports ok on a separate latptop that suggests its a combo of my camera model and setup of Adobe + video driver surely?  doesnt make sense when i havent changed anything and worked fine last week so some background update maybe but am scratching my head to know where to start looking and trying next..... 😞