Join now - be part of our community!

Advice In Case Your Latest A7* Firmware Fails

profile.country.GB.title
cgiserban
Explorer

Advice In Case Your Latest A7* Firmware Fails

Hey,

Not really a question, but rather a post I wanted to make in order to help eventual issues with firmware updates. It might be a bit lengthy, so please bare with me!

I updated my A7IV from Firmware 1.11->2.0 after formatting my card (IN CAMERA, please keep this in mind for later). I have encountered an issue where the camera red light blinks 5 times slowly and 6 times quickly through the middle of the update after about 10-15 minutes. Afterwards, the camera won't turn on/off (blinking would still keep going regardless of the switch). 

I was almost sure my camera bricked since placing the battery/mem card out and back in wouldn't change anything, and started to look up for support on forums. Nothing really solved my issue so I was about to create a support request, until I gave a go to the idea of adding the previous firmware to a (PC) formatted card. That didn't do much except it changed the pattern of my blinking (7 slow, 7 quick). Adding the version that I had on the camera prior to the update, would make it 5 slow, 7 quick. 

Based on that I figured that the camera is either not recognizing the card, or noticing the version mismatch. Finally, I just re-added the initially broken firmware to the (now PC formatted, not camera) card, and that fixed my issue! The camera would behave similarly to the previous firmware from 1.05->1.11.

I am not sure why the firmware on the card wouldn't update properly using the guide on the official website, but this was something that scared me, so if it happens to you, give it a go! 

Hope you have a happy day:) ! 

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Thanks for sharing your tip.
I've updated with SD formatted in camera without any issue.
It's a really strange case.
Which OS are you using on your computer? Have you formatted in ExFAT right?

profile.country.GB.title
cgiserban
Explorer

I did as well with the previous update and indeed, it worked very well! I agree with you, it doesn't make a ton of sense, but for some reason, it did behave like that!

I formatted on Windows using ExFAT, indeed, and that worked pretty well! I was worried that in order to perform the update, the fact that the PRIVATE folder would get erased would not work, so I also backed up prior to that!

Craigsone
New

Yep the exact thing happened to me today leading to sudden panic thinking I’d broken the camera with the flashing red lights & on way to turn it on. Searched the forums & along with your comments & some others out there, I could wipe the sweat from my brow.

It worked a treat after formatting a different SD card in ExFat & downloading the update to my computer first then transferred to SD card, placed in camera then returned the battery & finally everything was up and running in about 5 minutes, then update complete.

Really appreciate the advice you left here, thank you.

profile.country.GB.title
Tyz0n_
New

I cannot thank you enough. you saved so many hours of my life. I had the issue that when updating from 1.11 - 2.00

the blinking started with 5 long and 7 short. after taking out the battery and formatting the card it didnt do anything except for blinking 7 long and 7 short. then i found your post. formatted the sd card to exfat. but the firmware on it and slapped that thing into my camera and it started to install the firmware onto it. not even 5 minutes passed and the camera came back to life with the new 2.00 firmware on it. 

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!!!!

profile.country.GB.title
redizeli
New

I am so grateful that you were willing to write this advice. This is exactly what happened to me last night. I thought it was my fault. I had already said goodbye to my a7 IV when I found your description of the problem. Thank you very much for help.

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Someone should pin this discussion on the top of category, it’s really useful 

@TheMaze @Safie97 @HannahEd01 @EMS_MO72 

profile.country.GB.title
redizeli
New

And seems to be pretty common problem 🤔 or maybe I’m wrong… Not everyone who visits here leaves some trace in the form of a thumbs up, comment or a thanks note.