Join now - be part of our community!

Alpha 77 Autofocus Problem using Sony Lenses

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
sherober02
New

Alpha 77 Autofocus Problem using Sony Lenses

I have a problem with the autofocus on my recently acquired Alpha 77. When using Sony lenses, (SAL 1650 and SAL 50F18), and with the lens switch set to AF and the Camera focus mode switch set to A, the camera beeps on half press and I get a green focus symbol, but the image is out of focus. If I lock the focus and step back a pace, the image comes back into focus. I also have a Tamron 18-200 (XiDR2) zoom, and that does not have an AF/M switch on the lens. This one auto focuses OK with the camera focus mode switch set to A. So the isuue just apprears with the Sony lenses set to AF.

The camera has Firmware 1.07. I have tried changing the AF Micro Adjust in settings, but that did not seem to have any affect so I returned to default settings.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bieomax

Hi Sherober02

It seems abit of a strange one, as if the tamron wasn't focusing it would maybe suggest an issue to me with the pellicule mirror or the AF module, which i would probably say you'd need to get it into Sony Service.

if the tamron is working, have you checked the contacts on the sony lenses incase there's any dirt or grease on them?

Kind Regards

Mark.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Bieomax

Hi Sherober02

It seems abit of a strange one, as if the tamron wasn't focusing it would maybe suggest an issue to me with the pellicule mirror or the AF module, which i would probably say you'd need to get it into Sony Service.

if the tamron is working, have you checked the contacts on the sony lenses incase there's any dirt or grease on them?

Kind Regards

Mark.
profile.country.GB.title
sherober02
New

When I had a closer look, I found out that the Tamron wasn't focussing correctly either, although I could get it to focus pin sharp by adjusting the micro focus setting to -20 (the maximum). I Tried to micro sdjust the sony lenses, and although this gave some improvement, I couldn't get a satisfactory result. Fortunately, the vendor has agreed to a full refund, so the camera is going back.

The next question is whether to buy another A77, or wait to see if Sony bring out a replacement in early 2014?

profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

I can only offer my opinion on your last question, do I get another A77 or wait. IF Sony brings out a replacement, then how long will it be before they replace the replacement? May I suggest, get the body and get the pictures while you can, otherwise you will always be waiting and miss capturing great moments!