Join now - be part of our community!

Auto Focus system DSC-H50

davedelly
New

Auto Focus system DSC-H50

I have a Sony DSC-H50 and am thinking of moving on to a DSLR. I am really impressed with the Auto Focus abilities of the H50 so want a DSLR to have the same system or better. Can anybody tell me if the Sony DSLRs are as good if not better? (I take a lot of pictures of R/C aircraft in flight). Thanks.

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Another RC addict! Glad I am not alone. Welcome to the Community.

What sort of scale do you normally photograph? I try to photograph RC cars all the time and I have to tell you, it is not as easy as I thought. You need far more practice than I anticipated. 

I would say any of the current Alpha DSLR's would be up for the job but what you want is something with a high frame rate so you can fire off a good burst of shots. That way you can have a look at what is worth keeping plus makes some nice sequence shots.

Where it gets difficult is the focusing itself. You might be a natural but at first, I would it very difficult getting any photos that were worth keeping because I was not used to the changes. Shortly after, I found that moving to a DSLR really improved the quality of the photos because I had more control over what I wanted to capture and I think you will too. A shot like the one I took below would have been very difficult to capture on anything other than a DSLR.

soul.jpg

Im heading to our race track in Nothampton on Wedsnesday with a A58 and a few lenses to see how I have been getting on with my practice so maybe I can give you a better insight at that point since its been a while. Honestly, moving to a DSLR especially for RC stuff is the right way forward.

Please do share some of your photos. :slight_smile:

davedelly
New

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate what you are saying about the DSLR but I am really trying to address the question to the Sony Technical people, but I don't seem to be having any luck targeting them! I have great faith, with results to support that, in the systems in this camera but I also know that newer products are not always superior products. I would just like to confirm the AUTO focus technology in the DSLRs.

I take pictures of friends R/C planes in flight, scale - not sure, but wingspan from 1/2 meter for small jets to 2 or 3 meters for large scale. I am happy with the single shutter shots right now as I am pretty good at following the aircraft or anticipating their location through the viewfinder. The auto systems are so good that I usually have some quality shots to keep, maybe 1 out of every 10. Not a bad ratio I feel. In most cases if the focus will "lock on" then the picture will be acceptable.

I hope I have attached a few shots as examples for you. All reduced down to about 50k so I don't know what the quality will be like.

All the best DD

F22.jpgFokker.jpgPolice Chopper.jpgVixen.jpgVulcan.jpg

profile.country.en_GB.title
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Nice shots but there is really nothing more technical Sony could really tell you about the system. The SLT range are very quick to focus and are all very accurate.

What technical info are you looking for as I may be able to assist?