Join now - be part of our community!

Cannot recognise lens. Attach it properly!

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
GLOBEMASTER3971
Visitor

Cannot recognise lens. Attach it properly!

Hi, I've got a Nex-5 straight out of the box, an e-mount off ebay and a Minolta 75-300/4.5-5.6 II lens. It all attaches together ok, but when I press the shutter, I get the message "Cannot recognise lens. Attach it properly".

There's no electrical connection between the mount and camera body.

I have no technical knowledge of cameras, so please keep any advice simple.

Any ideas please.

The mount I bought is off ebay, and this is the item number 360312319485

The lens was off ebay also item number 190468844023

I don't know about firmware, or what it is or even how to update it!

thanks for your help

Sven

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.nl_NL.title
robox3000
Visitor

Some of those after-market adapters require that you put the camera into "Release w/o Lens" in Menu | Setup

I did this same test with mine, a cheap adapter from china, an old minolta lens 50mm f11.4 that i bought at a yard sale for $5 on my NEX-5

If i put the camera into "Release w/o Lens" - Disable" mode, i get "shooting tips" at the bottom button and "cannot recognise lens".

When I enable "Release without Lens - enable" mode, i get "MF assist" and it will take the picture

This should solve it, but here are a couple other things you can try if not...

Have you also tried putting the camera into M or P mode?

Is there any shop near you that might let you try the original Sony LA-EA1 adapter? I know it's way more expensive, but just as a test. It may be that the camera is expecting the electronic connection to the lens since this is an AF lens.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.nl_NL.title
robox3000
Visitor

Some of those after-market adapters require that you put the camera into "Release w/o Lens" in Menu | Setup

I did this same test with mine, a cheap adapter from china, an old minolta lens 50mm f11.4 that i bought at a yard sale for $5 on my NEX-5

If i put the camera into "Release w/o Lens" - Disable" mode, i get "shooting tips" at the bottom button and "cannot recognise lens".

When I enable "Release without Lens - enable" mode, i get "MF assist" and it will take the picture

This should solve it, but here are a couple other things you can try if not...

Have you also tried putting the camera into M or P mode?

Is there any shop near you that might let you try the original Sony LA-EA1 adapter? I know it's way more expensive, but just as a test. It may be that the camera is expecting the electronic connection to the lens since this is an AF lens.

TraceyH
New

I'm really not happy with my daughters NEX 5R.

I'm so disappointed with this camera. My Mum bought it in March 2013 for my daughters 16th birthday.She paid more as she wanted a really special camera for my daughter Hannah who is keen on photography.
In April 2013 we went on a trip to New York and Hannah had problems switching it on and off- this appeared to correct itself so I didn't report it- I WISH NOW I HAD.
Now here we are - out of warranty by 5 months- on holiday again and it seizes up and no photos can be taken- Screen saying that the camera cannot recognise lens and to attach it properly. I've googled this and there are loads of posts complaining about the same issue and basically saying that our £600 camera is useless!! Not very happy especially as this camera has been handled with kid gloves.
I have sent the camera for repair and have just had to pay an additional £117 just for an engineer to look at it. There are loads of posts on the net about the same issue with this camera.  Here is just one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcLDqd_BvmY.

profile.country.GB.title
fjishi
New

Solution worked for me,  turned on release without lens.

Thanks.