Join now - be part of our community!

Extremely bad Sony "premium" warranty

Denis-79
Explorer

Extremely bad Sony "premium" warranty

Hi,

I'm _extremely_ disappointed by Sony service & warranty. One moth ago, on November 11 2016 I've bought my new camera in Athens (Greece) with 3 years premium warranty included. 2 weeks ago (December 3) I had sad accident - I felt in the sea from the yacht & my camera stopped working after this. After 2 days it got dry and when I switched it on it did several pictures then reported an error. When I came to the Sony authorized service center (http://cometron.gr/) on Monday they told me they can do nothing about it but send it for 75 EUR to Poland for repair. It took them 2 days to clarify that insurance I've got doesn't cover my expenses & they informed me that I have to pay 75 EUR for shipment (in the meantime the salt from the sea water was damaging my camera). I've paid & after a week they told me that repair is not possible at all.

I felt in the sea with my camera from Sony & iPhone. Apple simply replaced my iPhone 6 _in 2 days_ for 355 EUR which was _out of warranty_.

1) Sony charged me 75 EUR & did nothing to repair the product which is covered by premium warranty for next 3 years.

2) When I asked to show me where it's mentioned that my warranty does not include accidental damage they didn't reply.

3) When I've asked if it is possible to check at least lenses (so I could buy new body only) nobody replied.

4) Apple - 2 days, problem solved. Sony - 2 weeks, nothing is solved.

Can send service costs, invoice, warranty & emailing with the service center in case if it's necessary.

Shame on you Sony!

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Denis-79

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with Sony Support - if you can send me a private message with the case ID number, then i will re-escalate this back to Sony to see if they can have a second look at this.

Cheers

Denis-79
Explorer

Hi,

The case ID is 15219905. Please note the email chain (attached in the case) and especially the conclusion from the service center:

"

LABOUR COST Estimated price (excl. VAT): ~ 0,00
CAMERA FLOODED, TRACES OF LIQUID ON INNER ELECTRONICS ELEMENTS. WE DO NOT TAKE UP
THIS REPAIR AS IT WOULD BE RISKY AND VERY EXPENSIVE TO GET THIS PRODUCT WORKING.
Estimated price of the repair: ~ 0,00

"

I've never seen such bad reply. What is this "REPAIR WOULD BE RISKY AND VERY EXPENSIVE"? Why they decide instead of me if I shall pay the repair or not?

For example, Samsung just states that the repair will cost xxx allowing me to decide if it is worh it or not.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have escalated this back to Sony Support for them to have another look at and advise accordingly.  They should be contacting you once they have done so.

Please reply back and let us know how it goes.

Cheers

Denis-79
Explorer

Hi,

Thank you for your effort but I've got nothing so far & Christmas holidays are coming... Let's hope there will be something positive next week.

Denis-79
Explorer

Still no help

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hiya :slight_smile:

Bear with this a little longer if you can, I'm sure Quinnicus will update you if he has heard anything.

If not then he will chase it up :slight_smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @Denis-79

Sony are aware of your issue and the escalation I have made to them.  I would have hoped that they would have contacted you by now - maybe the Xmas period has causes a slowness in their replies.

Anyhow, from the information I have received:

• You have an extended warranty, but not one that includes accidental damage insurance.
  • Certain things were not conveyed to you in a manner that it should have - I believe within Sony there were two people communicating with each other in English, but their native language was two different languages, hence translation issues.
  • The term 'Risky' is referred to the fact that they believe a fix would not work in the long term, as salt water can have a corrosive effect at a later date.
  • The term expensive was used because the repair would cost more than replacement.

Either way, Im sorry that they have not contacted you and informed you.  I will request that they do so.

Cheers

@jumpsuit

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello there

I received information today to state that Sony has sent you a response last week - this was triggered by the escalation from these forums.  Unfortunately their position will not change on this matter im afraid.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Ouch! :slight_frown:

Sorry to hear that.

I wonder if there is any room for negotiation / goodwill based on the fact that there 'seems' to be an admission

that cover details were not conveyed to the member in the manner that it should have been?