Join now - be part of our community!

Guarantee Validity

SOLVED
profile.country.fr_FR.title
garymarkthomas
Visitor

Guarantee Validity

Hi

Quick question. I am possibly going to buy a NEX 5N in China. Does any body know the implications of guarantee validity ie is it valid worldwide and if I have a problem when home (France) can I send it for repair in a European facility

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

Hi garymarkthomas, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Like most camera manufacturers, Sony generally will not honour the warranty for a camera purchased in a different region to the warranty claim country.

The usual reason given is that Sony doesn't operate as one global company for sales and service; it's divided into several regions, all responsible for their own operations.

There have been cases I know of where (eg) a product bought in Europe was repaired under warranty in the US, the cost being reclaimed from the European 'branch', but it's not commonplace and defintiely not worth relying on if you're contemplating buying in China.

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

Hi garymarkthomas, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Like most camera manufacturers, Sony generally will not honour the warranty for a camera purchased in a different region to the warranty claim country.

The usual reason given is that Sony doesn't operate as one global company for sales and service; it's divided into several regions, all responsible for their own operations.

There have been cases I know of where (eg) a product bought in Europe was repaired under warranty in the US, the cost being reclaimed from the European 'branch', but it's not commonplace and defintiely not worth relying on if you're contemplating buying in China.

Cheers

Mick