Join now - be part of our community!

Has Sony given up?

profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

Has Sony given up?

Firstly, I hope this is viewed to be the correct forum for this message by the moderators. I did consider 'general chat', but this is purely about Sony's photographic section.

Here in the UK we are currently half way through a large photography equipment exhibition which is being held over four days at one of the countries largest exhibition centres. I visited yesterday. I'm not sure if my eyesight is getting much worse, but the only indication that Sony produces photgraphic equipment were a few lenses being sold by some third party outlets who had stands there. 

We all know that Sony produces components for other manufacturers to use. A couple of those brands were represented by having stands there advertising their products. 

What a shame Sony wasn't there showing it's abilities and trying to increase it's grip on the market.

I wonder how many users of other brands actually know that their camera or maybe one they are considering buying, has at least one major component in it produced by Sony?

A missed opportunity to make sales and let the market know that Sony is still in the game?

Obviously, if Sony were there, please correct me!

3 REPLIES 3
mariuswm

Still unsure what you mean by "giving up" in this case.

But I do agree they are not communicating enough with their photography audience and customer base.

I bought the A7 in NOVEMBER. Thats already four months ago. I really think its time for an update on what new lenses are coming this year, and how the impact this camera has had on the industry, and how third party brands are going to contribute.

They just launched a great camera, then pretty much kept silent afterwards.

Bieomax

I don't think they are giving up, I just don't think they are great at marketing, I've start to see more of their products in the magazines and such, but yes I agree it would have been nice to see them at these events.

Maybe things are changing, we'll see
profile.country.GB.title
mischof67

When I say 'given up', this was an ideal opportunity to show the UK public their latest models, to advertise their presence in the photographic equipment world to potential customers who are brainwashed with products from the big two and to say, 'there is a good alternative'. 

Given up the fight to increase their market share?