Join now - be part of our community!

HVL-F60M overheating and useless support

profile.country.GB.title
aardvark7

HVL-F60M overheating and useless support

I'm a professional photographer and have found the new flash to shutdown within a very short time for overheating. This hasn't happened to me with the HVL-F58AM or the Minolta 5600HS before.

I need a solution and I need it NOW!!!

Preferably, I would like to be able to turn of the protection and use my own common sense, but there is no instructions as to whether this might be possible. I know when the Nikon SB900 had similar issues when launched they do have the facility.

Trying to get support from Sony is like trying to pull teeth. All I get is completely irrelevant answers and, at the moment, I'm hanging on the phone waiting for 'an agent to be with me shortly'.

Is there anyone at Sony who can help, or does anyone know a dirct line?

28 REPLIES 28
profile.country.GB.title
mikeyp2000

Aardvark, that is indeed a bit odd sounding! Is this what you tried:

1) Cool flash

2) Cool batteries

3) Power up the flash, not mounted to the camera

4) Set manual flash, power level 1/1

5) press the test button to force a full power single flash

6) Wait until the test light indicates a full recharge has completed

7) press the test button again

😎 repeat 5,6 until the flash overheats.

I wonder if the same test repeated on camera would produce the same results? Perhaps if you are using TTL, the extra pre-flash cycles are adding to the heat produced, leading to an earlier overheat.

It may be worth re-testing with the flash on the camera, set to bounce to fill a large dark room. Set f16 ISO50 to ensure the flash is really putting out some big flashes.

Maybe even the lens has a bearing on this. Some zooms at the long end only open up to f5.6 so maybe (just maybe) the preflash is brighter too compared to a similar shot with a f1.4 or f2.8 lens. This is pure speculation though....

profile.country.GB.title
aardvark7

To cmosse,

It is clearly not a case of full power too often for me, as I was using ISO 1600, between f5.6 and f8 at approximately 50mm from no more than 12' away. That is NOT full power scenario!

Add to that the 37 pictures were taken over a period of almost half an hour and it becomes ridiculous.

I understand that I can't expect to blaze away completely uninterrupted, but I do expect reasonable performance.

To Mikey,

Basically, your list is as I did and you will be correct about the preflash. However, what I have discovered now, though, points almost certainly to a poor heat dissipation design.

The evidence is that initially I achieved fewer shots of less power over a longer period than the static room test. A second test has shown even worse performance when attaching the diffuser. In a static position, with a lower ambient temperature than previously, I only achieved 31 shots, which is almost 25% fewer than without the attachment.

Clearly, the flash head has been designed in such a way that heat can build up and takes a long time to dissipate. This is exacerbated when using the diffuser (it has nothing to do with power as they are all full power test firings).

Sony need to look again at their design and introduce some means of passive cooling. I'm certain they could make part of the case to be a finned heatsink.

In the long term it would make eminent sense to use the camera body to serve the purpose and have the heat drain through the hotshoe, but until then I'd just be grateful for Sony to point out the location of the temperature sensor and the items that need to be cooled. With that information I could likely create my own system for cooling!

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

I have done another test using the remote control software, this time with the interval set to 15 seconds and the flash set to 1/2 manual level, zoom set to 35mm.

It shot 60x within 15 minutes before overheat.

If you could repeat a similar setup to check whether your flash acts in the same range?

BR

Michael

profile.country.ru_RU.title
asukhoverkhov
Visitor

Could you please give me an advice? I am a reporter and I've bought a-77 to illustrate my articles. So I need a lighter and I have a choice to buy the 60 or 58. For a new purchase which is better? Does the hvl-f58 has the same problem?

profile.country.GB.title
mikeyp2000

Asukhoverkhov,

I think the whole point of this discussion is that the f60 overheats in situations where the f58 does not....

For the a77, I would buy a f58 or f43 flash.   The f60 would need an adapter to fit the a77.   The f58 or f43 would not need an adapter.

profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello asukhoverkov - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Your final choice will depend upon your budget, but one major difference between the two flashes is the flash range as this is improved on the newer model. The HVL-F60 also offers a 1200 lux LED light for movie shooting.

To compare the two flashes, take a look at the official Sony links:

HVL-F58AM: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/dsa-flashes---lights/hvl-f60m

HVL-F60M: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/dsa-flashes---lights/hvl-f60m

I am not aware of the overheating problem being an issue with the HVL-F60, but you can check out the other experiences on this forum thread to make a decision.

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

HVL-F58AM_HVL-F60M difference.jpgsee attached image for an overview of the differencies.

If you are a journalist maybe the build in video light will also be of importance for you.

In regard of overheat I think the HVL-F58 is the same. Keep in mind when using lower output levels there is no risk of overheat on both of the flashes.

Message was edited by: cmosse

That sounds good, but if we spend as much money as they charge for their flash. Why should we have to jump through hoops just for it to work as every other flash in the industry works. I had a vivitar flash and never had a problem with over heating. I changed to a Sony and that was the biggest mistake I ever made with equipment choices. Needless to say I am back to the vivitar flasha nd happy as can be. Once Sony owns up to their mistake and fix it, I will stay put.
profile.country.GB.title
triggz8375
Explorer

This is the best piece of advice I've read.

Thank you!!