Join now - be part of our community!

My camera will not operate above the horizon!

profile.country.en_GB.title
taylordonj
Visitor

My camera will not operate above the horizon!

SONY A200 with standard 18-70mm as supplied

I have bought this camera recently, second hand on Ebay, and discovered that if i start pointing the camera upwards, the shutter button does not function. It won't click. Bring it down to the horizon, bam, works.

Any ideas that might cheer me up?

cheers

Don :slight_smile:

Message was edited by: taylordonj

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
mikeyp2000

Have you noticed the "F Number" as displayed on the rear LCD?  When all is well, it probably says something like F4, F5.6, F3.5, F8 or similar.  If you tip the camera upwards until it won't take a picture, does the F number change to "F---"  ?  If so, the lens might be somehow losing contact with the camera which then won't take a pic.

In the upwards postion, you might be able to wiggle the lens in the mount until the F--- changes back to an actual number and then be able to take a picture.

If that's the case, it's either the lens or the camera at fault.  Perhaps the contacts are dirty or perhaps it's broken.  You may need to contact the seller and arrange a return...

Good luck!

taylordonj
Visitor

Hi Mikey

thanks for getting back.

No, sorry, the F number remains the same. Thats through the viewfinder and the LCD.

I have contacted Sony direct and they suggested also that i wiggle the lens but that has sparodic results.

They also suggested that the shutter release button is faulty and i should apply for a quote to fix it!

I will keep you posted if a result is forthcoming...

cheers

Don

profile.country.GB.title
mikeyp2000

Other than sending it back to the ebayer or off for repair, one last ditch attempt might be to drop into a local camer shop and try a few other alpha lenses on it.  Of course, you may have a few yourself and have already tried this.   Most Jessops stores have a handful of Sony lenses on the shelf...

If changing the lens cures the problem, you could use the 18-70 as a paperweight and get another.  That lens and also the 18-55sam go quite cheaply on eBay as many people get them as kit lenses that they don't really need and sell them on almost unused....

taylordonj
Visitor

Hah yeah good point, thanks, I have tried the Tamron 700-200 that came with it and same thing happens, but, yeah i will see if i can pop into Jessops and try some others out...

thanks for your advice so far!

cheers