Join now - be part of our community!

NEX 5 Video transfer

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
mrtndyer
Visitor

NEX 5 Video transfer

How do I transfer video captured on my NEX 5 on to my pc and then on to a disc?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Mick is right but for simplicity have you tried using the bundled PMB software that came with your NEX-5 on the included CD?

With PMB you can transfer the footage to your PC and burn it to disc (Blu-Ray, AVCHD or DVD formats)  If you want to play it back on a normal DVD player, choose the Ordinary DVD format.

Once you have installed PMB on your PC, go to Start -> All Programs -> PMB -> PMB Help for instructions.

The NEX-5 records movies in AVCHD format which is not supported by the free Microsoft players. and movie editors.  If you want to edit the HD footage you will need to buy video editing software that supports the import and editing of AVCHD.

As Mick has said, Sony Vegas is one such program - others are Adobe Premiere Elements, Corel VideoStudio, Pinnacle Studio Plus.

:thinking:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

Hi mrtndyer, welcome to the forum.

If you just want to get the camera footage onto the PC there are various methods; this article explains the most common ones: http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=C1016086&fes=true&m...

If you want it burned to disk, you should convert your video into a format compatible with the device you wish to view it on; the best (most widely compatible) formats for this purpose are .avi and .mp4 and you will need a video conversion program of some kind to do it.

If you're wanting to do a little more than simply back up your footage onto disk, I can recommend Sony Vegas as a very good and affordable video editing solution – check it out here: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegassoftware

Hope that helps 🙂

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Mick is right but for simplicity have you tried using the bundled PMB software that came with your NEX-5 on the included CD?

With PMB you can transfer the footage to your PC and burn it to disc (Blu-Ray, AVCHD or DVD formats)  If you want to play it back on a normal DVD player, choose the Ordinary DVD format.

Once you have installed PMB on your PC, go to Start -> All Programs -> PMB -> PMB Help for instructions.

The NEX-5 records movies in AVCHD format which is not supported by the free Microsoft players. and movie editors.  If you want to edit the HD footage you will need to buy video editing software that supports the import and editing of AVCHD.

As Mick has said, Sony Vegas is one such program - others are Adobe Premiere Elements, Corel VideoStudio, Pinnacle Studio Plus.

:thinking: