Join now - be part of our community!

NEX-5

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
closephoto
New

NEX-5

Can Sony alter the firmware so that the video button can be disabled, as I am finding it a pain, I keep catching it with my thumb. I don't want video. I would like to disable this function. A great camera otherwise.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello closephoto - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Unfortunately there is no way of disabling this button to prevent accidental presses. This is a comment that I have seen from a few owners of this camera and the only way around it seems to be to try and hold it differently, depending upon the stage that you normally brush against the button i.e. during normal use/when removing it from your pocket. I know you may think that I am stating the obvious by saying this but when I have seen other users mentioning this issue online, this seems to be the general conclusion - albeit not an ideal one!

Other than that, you could try fixing a plastic cover to the button if you can find one small enough - although I can appreciate that it may be an extremely fiddly job to carry out!

Having said all of this, designers and engineers from Sony do read these forums regularly and so if they see comments similar to yours, they will take your opinion into account when designing future models.

Thanks,

Simon

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello closephoto - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Unfortunately there is no way of disabling this button to prevent accidental presses. This is a comment that I have seen from a few owners of this camera and the only way around it seems to be to try and hold it differently, depending upon the stage that you normally brush against the button i.e. during normal use/when removing it from your pocket. I know you may think that I am stating the obvious by saying this but when I have seen other users mentioning this issue online, this seems to be the general conclusion - albeit not an ideal one!

Other than that, you could try fixing a plastic cover to the button if you can find one small enough - although I can appreciate that it may be an extremely fiddly job to carry out!

Having said all of this, designers and engineers from Sony do read these forums regularly and so if they see comments similar to yours, they will take your opinion into account when designing future models.

Thanks,

Simon

closephoto
New

Hello blaireau_photo,

Many thanks for your comments Simon. I now understand that it is not poosible, at the moment, to switch the video off. Hopefully Sony will listen to its customers and sort this out.

I mainly use my NEX-5 when walking with a group or with a couple of pals.

I hate neck straps, when walking, as the camera tends to swing about. I have a wrist strap to prevent dropping the camera when in use, otherwise it is in my back pack.

If I am in an area of interest and the light is right I will carry the camera in my hand so that it is ready for instant use. While walking along my thumb is on the small pad at the back, but obviously it must move around while walking. The button is in the most stupid position for holding the camera.

When I get home and start to load my images onto the computer there are always odd folders of video which I have to delete, not a problem just a B nuisance.

Many thanks,

David

PS This is shot on NEX-5