Join now - be part of our community!

NEX-5N shutter won't work - help please!!

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jtalfour
New

NEX-5N shutter won't work - help please!!

I have just bought my son a nex-5n. Everything is set up, memory card formatted, battery charged etc... The camera focuses, shines its red light but the shutter wont work.  Is this a fault with the camera??

He has taken out teh battery etc.. but still doesnt work.  Also most times he powers it down and then up agin he has to reset the date and time...surely this can't be right?

Its his birhday and he really wants to use it

Any help much appreciated

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi jtalfour and welcome.

You may have a faulty camera which will need replacement but we have seen this problem before on a couple of occasions and it has been fixed.

From memory, one user fixed it by not setting date and time - ignore this and just press the shutter.  I think after the shutter had fired once, date and time could then be set and everything was normal.

I think another user reported that after attaching the camera to a computer by the USB cable and loading the software, the camera then worked properly.

You could also try a soft reset by removing the battery, turning the camera on and then holding down the shutter button for 30 seconds.  Then reinsert the battery and try again.

The only other thing to check is that the memory card is not physically locked if you are using a SD Card.  Also refix the lens in case there is a poor contact between the camera and lens.

I would try these today and if you do not have any success, try Sony Support tomorrow or return it to the seller to sort the problem.

Sony Support: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/contacts/dime

Hope you fix it first!!

:thinking:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi jtalfour and welcome.

You may have a faulty camera which will need replacement but we have seen this problem before on a couple of occasions and it has been fixed.

From memory, one user fixed it by not setting date and time - ignore this and just press the shutter.  I think after the shutter had fired once, date and time could then be set and everything was normal.

I think another user reported that after attaching the camera to a computer by the USB cable and loading the software, the camera then worked properly.

You could also try a soft reset by removing the battery, turning the camera on and then holding down the shutter button for 30 seconds.  Then reinsert the battery and try again.

The only other thing to check is that the memory card is not physically locked if you are using a SD Card.  Also refix the lens in case there is a poor contact between the camera and lens.

I would try these today and if you do not have any success, try Sony Support tomorrow or return it to the seller to sort the problem.

Sony Support: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/contacts/dime

Hope you fix it first!!

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
jtalfour
New

Wonderful - thank you.

It was the date issue - once he bypassed that it worked!  he is over the moon so thank you from both of us.

:smileyhappy::smileyhappy: