Join now - be part of our community!

NEX-C3 metering problems.

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Stupot69
Visitor

NEX-C3 metering problems.

Hello all.

I'm doing quite a bit of astrophotography at the moment. To get the best results I have to shoot a movie and then 'stack' the individual frames together for a final composite image.

I have the problem of not being able to manually set the metering mode whilst shooting a movie. It just seems to be preset to evaluative. Ideally I would set it to 'spot' so I could get a better exposure on a planet such as Jupiter or Saturn. Everything is overexposed at the moment because a large portion of the visible frame is dark sky. Whilst I can adjust the exposure compensation to -2.0 stops, I have no other means to get the movie exposure near correct.

My camera is attached to a telescope by the way. If I put a dark filter on, the camera just automatically compensates for it. Grrr.

Hope somebody knows. Maybe a future firmware upgrade?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Stupot69 :slight_smile:

Whilst I don't have any information regarding firmware updates, all that I can suggest is having auto focus and auto exposure turned off. As with a lot of features available when taking photos, they are often not available when shooting video due to technical constraints.

Having said that, product development staff at Sony do monitor the forums for comments such as yours and all feedback is taken in consideration when designing future products.

Thanks,

Simon

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Stupot69 :slight_smile:

Whilst I don't have any information regarding firmware updates, all that I can suggest is having auto focus and auto exposure turned off. As with a lot of features available when taking photos, they are often not available when shooting video due to technical constraints.

Having said that, product development staff at Sony do monitor the forums for comments such as yours and all feedback is taken in consideration when designing future products.

Thanks,

Simon

Stupot69
Visitor

Thanks Simon.

Do you work for Sony?