Join now - be part of our community!

nex5n firmware update on mac

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
ventus2cc
Visitor

nex5n firmware update on mac

Hi,

Have bought a nex5n yesterday with v1 firmware installed. Tried to update firmware without succes. I have the latest iMac27" with Lion operating system. I have booted mac in 32 bit kernel to lauch program. No issues that far. I have charged the camera battery to 100% full. I have camera in USB mass storage function. I have tried all USB inputs on mac. Program still does not recognize my camera to update to firmware v4.

Before I need to go back to sony shop to ask if I can update on their comouter, do any of you have any suggestion what I am doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

ventus2cc wrote:

Hi,

Have bought a nex5n yesterday with v1 firmware installed. Tried to update firmware without succes. I have the latest iMac27" with Lion operating system. I have booted mac in 32 bit kernel to lauch program. No issues that far. I have charged the camera battery to 100% full. I have camera in USB mass storage function. I have tried all USB inputs on mac. Program still does not recognize my camera to update to firmware v4.

Before I need to go back to sony shop to ask if I can update on their comouter, do any of you have any suggestion what I am doing wrong?

Hi ventus2cc,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

I think there may be some confusion the NEX-5N v1 firmware is the lastest version..:smileyconfused:

However the NEX-5 has a v4 firmware update avialable but this update in NOT compatible with the NEX-5N..

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

ventus2cc wrote:

Hi,

Hi ventus2cc,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

I think there may be some confusion the NEX-5N v1 firmware is the lastest version..:smileyconfused:

However the NEX-5 has a v4 firmware update avialable but this update in NOT compatible with the NEX-5N..

ventus2cc
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,

That explains a lot!

Thanks&Regards!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome ventus2cc..:smileyhappy:

Ta1ch1
New

Does this mean that te ver 1 on my NEX 5N gives me everything the ver 4 does on the NEX-5 or is there a difference between the two models that make the 5N inferior in some aspects ?.

Ta1ch1
New

I also find the whole NEX 5 (5N) situation difficult to understand. If the firmware is different for each camera, then Sony should seperate the software updates completely. It should not be possible for a 5N owner to see the updates for an NEX 5 and vice-versa.

So please Sony, lets make it fool proof. It is very confusing for us 5N owners to have to sift through the various upgrades and then try to decide which is which. And if on attempting an install said upgrades we get errors, it leads to the misconception that we have problems with our cameras. I would like to suggest we first enter our camera model and then be taken to the correct page. Hopefuly having both Windows and Mac uogrades also seperated in some way. I have been asked by Sony to check the upgrade pages on a weekly basis. I had hoped sony would be emailing out upgrade alerts to owners, as other DSLR companies do.

Message was edited by: Ta1ch1

Message was edited by: Ta1ch1

profile.country.el_GR.title
Jason_H
Visitor

Two totally different cameras and two different firmware for each and respective of only each model. What is available for the Nex-5 and what the capabilities of the NEX-5n are should not be confused or compared when concerning firmware.

silawre
New

I also not think Sony support firmware updates on a 64bit OS, I have just had to dig out my XP laptop because my A77 and A850 updates will not work on my iMac 27 with Lion as it is 64bit.

You need to find a 32bit OS or wait for Sony to catch up.

Si

profile.country.fr_FR.title
Andrew_Swift
Visitor

Obviously Sony should tell you this, but you can put Lion in 32-bit mode by holding down the 3 and 2 keys as you restart your computer.

Restarting again will put it back in 64-bit mode.