Join now - be part of our community!

Not recognizing SD CARD (No Card)

profile.country.en_GB.title
Norfolklad
Visitor

Not recognizing SD CARD (No Card)

I've just got my camera back after being repaired by Sony in Wales but it seems to have come back with yet another problem. I've phoned the Technical Helpline but unfortunately I seem to be going round in circles trying to reach them to try sort out this issue but keep getting returned to Custoimer Services. I wondered if anybody in the Community might be able to help.
I placed an SD Card into the slot, turned turned the camera on but its not recognizing the card, its giving the message "NO CARD". I tried replacing the card with a new SD Card thinking it may have been an issue with this but I'm still getting the message "NO CARD". I cant even use the camera at at all now as it won't allow me take a picture as the shutter button won't press down.

Any help at all would be wonderful.
Regards
Norfolklad
Tags (4)
14 REPLIES 14
Norfolklad
Visitor

Hi Everyone

I feel so stupid! I'd forgotten to switch the SD/Memory to SD.

Thank you all for assistance which I know would have been given.

Regards

Norfolklad

Mick2011
New

:smileygrin: No probs - thanks for letting us know!

Cheers

Mick

helgs1972
New

Hi,

I have the exactly same problem and I am not sure how to resolve it, because I am not finding to SD swich (?) whatever taht is. Could you please let me know how to do this?

Thank you so much!

helgs1972
New

HI, Do you happenes to know what can be the problem with the "no card" "reiser card" on the  LCD. I am very frustraited and dont know what to do?

Thank you for your help!

Helga 

rcjensen
Explorer

You "might have" switched the camera on and then pushed the SD card in whilst the card slot was live.  You need to switch the camera off, prior to insertion, or withdrawal of SD car, or of the battery. 

Few things you might like to try :   

1) reformat the card to ordinary FAT [16bit], not to FAT32 

2) insert the card and and the fully charged battery in and switch the camera on.  Leave it switched on for 10 minutes.  If that doesn't cure the problem?

3) repeat the above procedure (as per item 2), but at the end of 10 minutes waiting time, pull the battery out, whilst the camera is switched on. Wait for 2 minutes, then switch the camera off. Then reinsert the battery and switch the camera back on.  The camera will go through the hard reset procedure and hopefully liven up the card slot in process.  You might have to check and reset your menu as well.

Hey wondering what you did to solve this. I saw your message saying you switched the storage to SD but I'm not sure what that exactly means. 

Mind walking me through a step by step?

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

rcjensen schrieb:

You "might have" switched the camera on and then pushed the SD card in whilst the card slot was live.  You need to switch the camera off, prior to insertion, or withdrawal of SD car, or of the battery. 

Lots of cameras allow hot-swapping cards - all my Sony cameras do (alpha 57k, CX130E, AX100, AS100, AZ1, X1000, X3000).

Some Sony cameras allow MemoryStick Pro Duo storage medias as well as SD cards, so the card-slot is made in a way, that you can put both cards in either way round, while each type is only readable by the camera in the correct orientation.

Another issue could be, that the SD-cards "read/write" switch on the side is switched to "lock".

- Nic

profile.country.DK.title
Ryomfoto
New

I have followed the procedure descripeded by rcjenn but the camera still says "no card"

the camera is Sony DSC-HX400V and I can't find any possibility to switch the SD card on or off.

Also I have tried to find a discription in the manual for an external media connection but I cant fond any

rcjensen
Explorer

I trust, that you have tried to use another card (different brand) and SDHC, instead of SDXC?
The cards usually come formatted to standard FAT, out of box, if they are formatted to FAT32, they have to be formatted to FAT, then inserted into camera and formatted inside the camera.
Older cameras are incapable to read anything larger than 32GB cards ... and some, are not even capable to read larger than 2GB cards. I have Kodak P880 camera, that was well ahead of the game with 8Mpx sensor and the facilities it provided you with ... but you could not use larger than 2GB SD cards.

So check with camera manufacturer on cards the camera can read. I case of Sony, it might be, that the camera takes Memory Stick Micro (M2) card and not the SD card.

Rgds

Richard

Get Outlook for Android