Join now - be part of our community!

Options to power A77 from 12v battery?

profile.country.en_GB.title
macronencer
Visitor

Options to power A77 from 12v battery?

I don't think Sony make a voltage regulator of any kind to allow the A77 to be powered from a 12v battery. I shoot time lapse overnight and can't always get enough time to finish the job on batteries.

I'm considering a DIY power supply out of desperation. Can anyone tell me how to get hold of something without invalidating my camera's warranty? Is that even possible?

I've been looking at this one:

http://amzn.com/B00C66B3PM

If any electronics experts are out there, perhaps they might be able to comment on my best options...

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

you would also need the special plug to connect to the DC in of the camera, which is not a common type.

Have you considered using a battery grip?

Using the VG-C77AM allows you to use 2 x NP500 batteries which should allow you to capture around 800 images

profile.country.en_GB.title
macronencer
Visitor

Thanks for the reply cmosse - I have considered the battery grip solution, but to be honest I'd be more comfortable if I were able to hook up my camera to the same high-capacity 12v battery as my other kit (i.e. dew heater, Astrotrac, etc.). This would give me an all-in-one power solution rather than having to mess about with the smaller batteries. A single time lapse shoot somewhere near home is usually OK, but if I ever took a hiking holiday in the mountains I would definitely need the 12v solution, and that's what I'm after really.