Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A1 Bluetooth failure a month after firmware update

profile.country.GB.title
wookie7070
Explorer

Sony A1 Bluetooth failure a month after firmware update

I updated to firmware 2.01 a week or so after it came out. Resisted an early update after the terrible 2.0 launch. Mostly successful although 1 OEM battery did not work that had worked previously and there were definitely a few times when the camera never behaved as expected with AF.
Yesterday while shooting an event that required images at regular intervals the bluetooth malfunction warning came on and that was the end of being able to use bluetooth on one of my A1s. It had worked really well after the update until that point. Won't connect to Creator App even after reinstalling app, trying on a new phone and updating firmware to 2.02. So looks like a hardware malfunction that is nothing to do with the firmware or at least came a good while after it was loaded on to the camera. I redid the connection to creator app with my other A1 and A9iii and they connected instantly so it is definitely the camera and the bluetooth hardware. It won't connect with the Sony Bluetooth remote either.

On the plus side the camera is in warranty but I will really miss having it for events and now will be forced to shoot two different cameras without a backup. Sony really seemed to have paid little attention to this issue which seems to me to be faulty hardware that is now being picked up by newer firmware perhaps expecting all chips to be equal. A recall for cameras that show the fault should really be issued like Nikon have done in the past or at the very least the ability to take the firmware back to the older version and use the other app. So lucky I have warranty 

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

As professional you can access to sony pro program https://pro.sony/en_GB/support-services/primesupport

It can help to have the camera repaired without interruption of service.

By your description it doesn’t seem something connected to the fw update but something that is actually happened on your camera.