Join now - be part of our community!

Sony a58k not able to change 25p

pointandshoot

Sony a58k not able to change 25p

Hi,

I am not able to change the frame rate on my sony a58k. I kept trying to set at 50i, the camera shows me that I'm recording at 50i but when I look at the video file on my laptop says 25 frames/second. I've formated the card and I did a reset on camera but no luck. I also did on full auto and full manual but when I look on my laptop - properties/details on the video file - I get the same 25 frames per second. What can I do?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @pointandshoot 

50i is actually shot at 25 frames per second.

In 50i there are 50 interlaced fields per second.

2 interlaced fields make up 1 frame so 50i is 25 frames per second.

Hope this helps.

pointandshoot

Thank you for answer me. I understand that but I still am a bit confused abut the fact that if I set my other cameras (sony dsc-hx300 and samsung nx2000) to record at 50i, the video file on my laptop (under properties/details) shows me 50 frames/second. When I'm trying to do a slow-motion efect by reducing the speed at 50% I get nice and smooth slow-mo efect, but when I'm trying to do the same thing with sony a58, which was set at 50i, the efect is not smooth at all - looks like having lots of hiccups.

profile.country.BE.title
Portmixus
Hero

My guess is that you were shooting in conditions not allowing 50fps e.g. low light. If it's too dark to achieve 50fps, it automatically switches to 25fps (for the given exposure). At least, that's my experience.

Try filming in broad daylight as that might do the trick. :wink:

Expert

@Portmixus Thanks :thumbsup:

Would be interesting to see if that solves it.