Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A77V & A850 CZ & G series zoom lenses issues

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
silawre
New

Sony A77V & A850 CZ & G series zoom lenses issues

I both my A77 and A850 have stopped working with the following lenses:  SAL70200G, SAL1635Z and SAL2470Z.  When I switch either camera on with any of the lenses mentioned and all I get is a clicking noise and a message saying LENS in the top display.  The lenses will not focus in any AF mode but you can manual focus and I am unable to set the aperture.  I have reset both cameras to factory defaults and both are on the latest firmware (A77V V1.04 and A850 V2.00).

I have checked the lenses on my A580 and they all work fine.  I am also able to use my SAL50F14 on both cameras without use and my Tamron 90mm F2.8 and 10-24mm work fine too.

I've changed batteries, memory cards but they have just stopped working.  I used the SAL70200G this morning and it was fine!  Now both cameras to not recongise the SAL70200G, SAL1635Z and SAL2470Z.

Any ideas on what the issue is, I think it relates to the camera bodys given the lenses work on the A580?

Kind regards

Simon Lawrence

Message was edited by: silawre

Message was edited by: silawre

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
silawre
New

I am happy to report that both cameras have been returned repaired.  The SLTA77 had a faulty "Fuse, Mirco (1608 TY) and the DSLR-A850 a DD-299 Mount.

Sony also requested the three lenses in question and I heard today that no faults can be found and they are on their way home as I type.

I'd just like to say a very big thank you to Sony and it's Support Central services for speedy and excellent service.  A quality service to be proud of.

Kind regards

Si

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
mikeyp2000

The first thing to try might be cleaning the electrical contacts between the lenses and bodies.   I had an intermittent similar problem on an 18-250 a700 combo.  I used a non-abrasive pencil eraser on the body pins and little copper patches on the lens.  Obviously,   take great care not to let any crud fall into the mirror area or into the lens though!  Lie on your back and hold the camera or lens up in the air!

Seems strange that all would go bad at once.  Were they all exposed to the same environment just before they went wrong?

silawre
New

Thank Mike I have tried that but no such luck, I've rest defaults the works.  The camera and lenses were in the same camera bag and had been indoors for over a week.  They were working in the morning but stopped half way through the day.  What gets me is that they work on my partners A580 which has been in the same environment!!!!

They are on their way to Sony today as they are under warranty and they can give them a good once over.

Thank you for responding.

Si

silawre
New

I am happy to report that both cameras have been returned repaired.  The SLTA77 had a faulty "Fuse, Mirco (1608 TY) and the DSLR-A850 a DD-299 Mount.

Sony also requested the three lenses in question and I heard today that no faults can be found and they are on their way home as I type.

I'd just like to say a very big thank you to Sony and it's Support Central services for speedy and excellent service.  A quality service to be proud of.

Kind regards

Si

profile.country.GB.title
mikeyp2000

Glad to hear it all worked out.  And a quick turnaround too! People often post horror stories about service/repair So it's always good to hear a success story.  I have also had DSLRs repaired by Sony UK with no hassle.

silawre
New

Mike,

Both cameras and lenses are working without fault. The attached photograph was taken with my repaired A77 and newly acquired 70-400mm G.

I intend to be a Sony DSLR / SLT owner for a very long time.

Si