Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A7IV focusing issues

profile.country.FI.title
kulmmii
Explorer

Sony A7IV focusing issues

I've been reading online about Sony A7IV focusing issues lately. Front and miss focusing issues.

I have used my A7IV and 135mm 1.8 GM couple of days now and have been shooting outdoors mainly running dogs but also stationary subjects. It seems that bird EYE AF works pretty flawlessly. With dogs and humans eye AF tends to front focus a lot. Focus frame display on camera and on computer shows that it should be on the eye but focused area is on the eye lashes or to somewhere else instead of the eye IRIS like it was on A7III. 

Coming from A7III world that never happened to me but with A7IV I can't trust how it (EYE AF) works. 

I mainly use AF-C but I have tried with multiple different focus area modes. 

28 REPLIES 28
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey guys, I've contacted Sony support and they confirmed that the AF issue is known and under investigation, there is going to be a SW update to fix it.

profile.country.DE.title
schildzilla

Sadly they are saying this to everyone who is asking but they don't want to communicate it on the website when asking. There are so many affected users, that they MUST communicate this.

Some users already returned their devices because of this Sony politic of quietness.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

@ schildzilla, I can see Sony reps already telling people about the update, not sure what you mean they're not "Communicating"

profile.country.DE.title
schildzilla

With communication I've meant, that there is still no public official statement/communication on the a7 IV website.

It's one thing to tell single persons "we do know about that there is an issue" and a different thing to acknowledge the issue and making this information accessible to everyone.

In my experience this silent communication to single customers by such big companies can also mean "just stay quiet, because we want to sell more devices and there is also a chance that your issue will never be fixed due to hardware issues within whole device series". I had this already with another well known big company and the fix never came, even if all devices have been affected.

Many people don't feel comfortable with the fact, that Sony isn't officially communicating this to everyone.

That's everything the users want to see - a public communication on the product page, that the issue is known and that Sony is working on it. No deadline, just an official statement to all customers, not to single ones.

Also because many users still get blamed for "there is no issue", "you have no prove" and "user error" when they are stating they have experienced a problem with the Eye-AF. Sony is ruining their reputation in different ways at once with being silent.

Many are already returning their devices because of this politic of being silent.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

@ schildzilla, I don't think they will publish an official statement since they already tell the customers who experience the issue what's going on.

profile.country.DE.title
schildzilla

And still Sonys official ambassador Mark Galer was just yesterday blaming affected users for being whining macro photographers with respect less DOF comments.

That's why this communication must be official on the Sony website.

I'm not trusting into single answers to single users.

The ambassador made me realize I was right with being skeptical and don't trust into such standard support answers stating the issue is known and a firmware is in progress.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

@ schildzilla, this is a user based community, why don't you try contacting Sony with your claim?

profile.country.DE.title
schildzilla

I've contacted Sony already. Sony answered that the issue is already known.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

@ schildzilla, then here's your answer :grin: Glad they confessed. :grin: