Join now - be part of our community!

SONY ALPHA A7RIII COLOUR CAST.

profile.country.IE.title
berhenne52

SONY ALPHA A7RIII COLOUR CAST.

Hi All.

I sold off all my canon gear and moved over to sony lately. I bought an A7RIII for landscape, but now i am wondering whether i made the right move, because i experienced a colour cast when i shot some landscape images the other day. I had the camera set as normal on Auto white balance, but i am getting a magenta cast. I never experienced this ever using the canon when set to auto white balance. I have been on a few forums lately where people were complaining about the same problems, i.e. green & megenta casts, on the landscape images. I did a firmware update lately, but i presume this has nothing to do with it? Is anyone else having this problem when shooting landscapes? Some help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @berhenne52,

maybe you accidentally activated the compensation for colored lights - I would recommend to either check your settings thoroughly or reset the cameras settings to factory default to get rid of the magenta tint.

Also it would be very helpful if you could upload a few sample images where the issue is visible on.

- Nic

profile.country.IE.title
berhenne52

Thanks for your help. Cheers.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @berhenne52,

you're welcome.

May I know what the issue was/how you resolved it?

- Nic

profile.country.IE.title
berhenne52

Hi Nic,

It's been a while since that problem, ha. Went into white balance and adjusted it from there. I have to say, in my humble opinion, having used canon 7D & 7DII cameras before purchasing the Sony, never had to make adjustments to colours in the canon cameras. The images usually came out very true to life. The Canon colours are more natural. Cheers.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @berhenne52,

I assume on your previous Canon cameras the white balance was simply set to "auto" - Sony has the same option and in my opinion it works very well and gives a very true to life look.

- Nic

profile.country.IE.title
berhenne52

Hi Nic,

Yes, i think that was the case. What i always found was, you could nearly tell what camera an image came out of, because of the way the colours were displayed. Canon's colours were always a bit on the softer side, i.e. more true to what you'd shoot. Nikon and sony have sort of harsher colours, i.e. more saturated. Nothing wrong with that, if that's the way one likes it. Just found Canon a bit more natural. I saw a guy on youtube doing a side by side comparison of sony and canon, i think it was, and you could see the difference. Sony colours were more on the red/orange side, and Canon more on the greener side, as far as i remember. Not much in it though. I suppose it all depends on how you like your colours displayed. Cheers.