Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Alpha SLT for astrophotography.

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
mistryj10
Visitor

Sony Alpha SLT for astrophotography.

Hi, I'm looking to buy an Alpha SLT camera and one of its uses will be for astrophotography using a T-adapter connecting to a telescope. Does anyone know whether this type of camera would be suitable for this?

Is is possible to take a photo with the mirror manually moved out the way?

Jay

Message was edited by: mistryj10

Message was edited by: mistryj10

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

The SLT range has a fixed translucent mirror which cannot be lifted out of the way like a standard SLR and, to be honest, will take a very small amount of light from your image for metering purposes.  However this does not appear to be a problem as this is miniscule.

You will find some sample images using a SLT-A55 here which look pretty good to me: -

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4395263/Main/4387137

The electronic viewfinder is an advantage as light cannot enter via the viewfinder and also allows you to view the image during an exposure.  You will also find the "focus check" a real bonus.

It looks to be great for this purpose as the high ISO availability and excellent noise reduction features should give sharp, contrasty pictures.

:wink:

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello mistryj10 - welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I am discussing this potential use of an SLT camera with some contacts of mine and as soon as we come to a conclusion I will reply on here i.e. usage of the mirror itself within the camera.

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

The SLT range has a fixed translucent mirror which cannot be lifted out of the way like a standard SLR and, to be honest, will take a very small amount of light from your image for metering purposes.  However this does not appear to be a problem as this is miniscule.

You will find some sample images using a SLT-A55 here which look pretty good to me: -

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4395263/Main/4387137

The electronic viewfinder is an advantage as light cannot enter via the viewfinder and also allows you to view the image during an exposure.  You will also find the "focus check" a real bonus.

It looks to be great for this purpose as the high ISO availability and excellent noise reduction features should give sharp, contrasty pictures.

:wink:

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

As Blencogo says, the A55 does seem to be a good choice for Astrophotography. Another contact of mine has also now said that this camera is the first one that springs to mind for this purpose.

Thanks all,

Simon

mistryj10
Visitor

Thanks to everyone for your prompt and informative replies.

It looks like I will get the a55 after all.

Best regards

Jay

GaryPlum
Explorer

Here are a couple of shots from my A37 with Sigma 18-250, 30 second exposure,ISO-1600 at Sawpit Creek, NSW, Australia in January 2014:

Saw-Pit-Milky-Way1-4.jpg

Saw-Pit-Milky-Way1-6.jpg

GaryPlum
Explorer

And a couple more from my A77, Sigma 18-250, 3 minute exposure on Ioptron Skytracker, ISO-320.

West Barwon Dam, Victoria, Australia, February 2014

WBD-Feb-02_1-4.jpg

WBD-Feb-02_1-2.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Gary,

welcome to the Sony User Community Forum..:smileyhappy:

Great shots, you may not be aware but there is a Photo Gallery attached to this forum which would be a better place for you upload & share your photos..

Click on the following link to open the Photo Gallery , then click on New Photo to upload your photos..

GaryPlum
Explorer

Many Thanks, I'm just about to upload some there. I upgraded to A99 also so here's a couple for people still interested in astro with the A99 or any other SLT

Carinae nebulae, A99, Samyang 135 2.0

0_Carinae-5-stack.jpg

Lagoon & Triffid, A99, Samyang 135 2.0

Lagoon_Stack_01-Big-PS-02-2.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Wow! Superb shots @GaryPlum!

Looking forward to seeing more :slight_smile: