Join now - be part of our community!

Strange question about LCD Screen on new ILCE-5100 (a5100)

profile.country.GB.title
abubbler
New

Strange question about LCD Screen on new ILCE-5100 (a5100)

This may seem a basic question, possibly as I may have made a basic error. 

I purchased a new a5100 about a month ago. Soon afterwards I applied a tempered glass screen protector to the LCD screen.

For reasons that would take too long to explain, yesterday I decided I needed to remove the glass screen protector. Online posts recommended using a fingernail to gently lever the glass screen away, possibly using low heat beforehand to soften the adhesive. I did not use heat, but did attempt to slide a fingernail under the lower right corner of the glass screen. I was alarmed when a tiny fold seemed to appear in the corner of the screen (as if I had lifted the corner) so I immediately stopped, uncertain of what had happened.

Having thought about it I find it difficult to believe that my fingernail has somehow created a tiny fold on the surface of the LCD screen, or indeed lifted the corner, because I imagine the surface of the LCD screen is glass? I now wonder whether I've missed an obvious trick, namely that a new camera would have come with a protective film applied to the LCD screen. I don't recall removing such a film before applying the glass screen protector and I'm hoping that the tiny fold I have spotted might be the protective film, not the screen.  

I do realise this might reflect a VERY basic error on my part, but can anyone please advise whether the surface of the LCD screen is glass, or whether there is a top layer comprising a film, which I might have damaged by creating a fold such as I described?  If the LCD screen IS wholly glass, then that suggests the fold I am seeing is in the protective film which I have neglected to remove before applying the glass screen protector?

I would be grateful if anyone can advise.

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi abubbler,

To my knowledge the screen cover is made of plastic that is covered with some coating.

Usually it should be protected with some foil when coming out of the box.

If you haven't removed it then it might still be there.

However, there are also some screens with a hard foil coating the glass. But this foil really sticks to the screen glass and cannot be removed easily.

So if you can remove the protective foil easily and the foil is rather soft than hard everything should be fine.

Anyway, please try to remove the protective glass you've attached carefully and leave the foil where it is for the moment. After removing the glass try to find out if the foil is soft - if so, remove it carefully.

Cheers

Peter