Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
pajo100

Anyone having a problem with iplayer playback on Kodi not getting any picture but sound okay on satellite.

also no 5.1 audio from Plex or Kodi ?  also a tad annoyed that the record feature is not working when my 2013 set records perfectly.

Apart form these TV is mega especially on 3D with 4Kcontent KDX 55 9305C

To gain full resolution on HDMI inputs do you have to use version 2.00 hdmi cable. Cheers 

elraouk

You can get dd5.1 from plex, but not DTS.  It's been covered many times on this thread and plex forums. 
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@pajo100 wrote:
To gain full resolution on HDMI inputs do you have to use version 2.00 hdmi cable. Cheers 

HDMI cables are not designated in this way; only HDMI devices are. Domestic HDMI cables can be standard or high speed, with Ethernet or without (so four permutations), but you can ignore the Ethernet option for all practical purposes.

So your best option is a high speed one. But the reality is that HDMI cables either work in a given usage or they don't, so if a standard cable seems to be coping at the moment, then a high speed one will introduce no observable difference.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
pajo100

The TV is 4K upscalable but on satellite the max res. I can get is 1080P so thought a newer Version 2.0 cable would do the trick or am I mistaken.

Kevwoods12

@pajo100

All content shown onscreen will be 4K. The 1080p is what the screen is receiving. Which satellite service are you watching? 

profile.country.GB.title
pajo100

BBC 1 HD

mattjsatkinson
Explorer

Im having issues using a soundbar and the ARC connection. On none HD channels the soundbar works fine, on HD it just crackles with no sound. Anyone else having an ARC issue? It also then started doing it with the optical cable connection with Netflix. 

profile.country.GB.title
lgcebr

Sony admitted in October, four months after launch and sale, that "certain features or services of our new TV models are not available yet or functioning as intended and sincerely apologise for the delay".  In the months between June and December customers have outlined here and in emails to Sony very clearly the problems and issues we experience with these televisions.  

In the same period update dates have been repeatedly missed and pushed back.  I have found dealing with Sony Technical Support (TS) a nightmare, as have others on this board, but I have found Sony Customer Service in Belgium to be professional and helpful. 

Unfortunately when I get referred back to TS I end up getting no information - or even worse inaccurate information.  I have concluded that TS are being asked to deal with issues and technical problems beyond their remit and which have to do with the coding and systems on the television rather than practical everyday support.  Only recently I was called by TS to be told that Sony would include Amazon 5.1 support, which it knew about and referred to back in October, in a Deecember update.  This has proved to be untrue.  

Unfortunately such misleading statements coming after the repeated delays and newly introduced problems (e.g. blocking Amazon UHD for a while in December) cause customers to lose faith in Sony.  Customers also lose faith in Sony when problems they have reported are never mentioned in communications about future updates - this leads us to wonder if Sony is including these issues or abandoning them.

I am told that Sony reads this board so I have a positive and helpful suggestion to make.  In doing so I am assuming that Sony has noted all of the faults and failures present from the factory and which should have been caught by any competent beta testing.  I am assuming that Sony has, as a result, got a list of issues to fix and an internal timetable for doing so.  Clearly having launched faulty sets Sony has a responsability to all of its customers who trusted its advertising and statements about updates.

So my suggestion is this.  Sony should produce a complete  list of all of the issues it has been informed about and intends to fix.  It is not enough to be told that Sony "have overcome the technical issues" (which should have been addressed pre-launch) or that they are working "tirelessly".  Misled and disappointed customers need certainty and UK consumer law requires products to be fit for purpose and as described.  In addition updates should be carried out with skill and care under the UK 2015 legislation - arguably the blocking of Amazon UHD a few weeks ago brings the level of care into question as I would expect Sony to test any updates against its pre-installed apps.  I doubt whether any UK Small Claims court would see Sony's lauch / updates / communication / performance as "reasonable".

So can we have via your update app / other routes a list of problems you are workign on and the dates by which customers can expect to see them fixed?  

For example, having been misinformed about Amazon 5.1 sound and strung along now for months it is reasonable to know what Sony plans to do and when.  This should apply to the oher missing and non-functioning aspects of the TVs.  I assume, of course, that Sony does have a road map for these fixes - sharing it with customers will provide some certainty.  The alternative is a total lack of trust in Sony and loss of reputation and face.

I do not doubt that Sony employees are working tirelessly - although I am sure that the pre-launch development and management was an absolute mess as Sony acknolweldged it launched sets with features not working - and still not scheduled to work 10 months after launch.  Clearly this is unreasonable.

So  Sony, will this request for proper and full information get a repsonse?  Or is Sony going to use us customers as beta testers for its 2016 range and treat us with contempt?

P.S.  My latest request to Sony for information on when Amazon 5.1 will be fixed on the pre-installed app has been transferred again to TS - who clearly do not have the information to tell me.  This is the sort of thing that can ruin a company's reputation and I would have thought that Sony, having admitted the problem honestly, should adhere to basic PR principles and come clean, provide full information which allows customers to trust the company again.

So how about it Sony?

scoopy6

Igcebr, surely you speak for many on this forum. We only use the tv at night and have limited requirements, only now waiting for the Recording feature. For us it seems pretty good on the whole but after thinking that it has just crashed after only looking at the guide!

As you say, the Tech guys are not sufficiently familiar with individual models to be able to advise properly, but experience with Samsung showed this is not unusual. In the same way they cannot provide details of future upgrades, or what 'problems' can be acknowledged or fixed. It was the same with the Samsung process and their repair agents with 'we will have to take it in for testing', replacing the mainboard, and ultimately 'we cannot replicate the problem'.In the real world that is what customer service for software bugs is bound to be like.

Obviously the software is still of beta quality and this is not satisfactory but I reckon there are just too many departments, subdivisions, and perhaps even software subcontracting, for any chance of transparency. Roll on March 31st.

49X8309C in uk
profile.country.GB.title
Stevevalo

Sony Response - TLDR!