Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
mk1.golf.1983

@Risc0n cheers pal. Is the update much of an improvement? 

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@EggDublin wrote:

No, I'm not in the UK so I do not get a UK Digital Terrestrial signal. I do get the Irish DTV signal and because the TV thinks it's in the UK I get a "Freeview" Logo on my guide which indicates that the freeview guide may well be on the EU software. 

So you're receiving the Saorview signal?  With the 'wrong' logo? (which could have come from a number of sources)  What's your EPG like though? Full or partial? 

As a for instance...  Though I moved away many years ago I used to live in Ardrossan ( high up on the hill just behind the town) and with a great big huge 'flock off' aerial could get RTE from Three Rock.  - I'm told from friends in the area (and others in Wales) that Saorview can be received, but no proper EPG unless you actually get an Irish STB...  Certain sets fed from multiple combined aerials only get a partially-populated EPG with some rejecting the 'out of area' signal; just as some will reject multiple UK regions if they sense them...   

The routine to harvest the Freeview EPG may well be in the EU firmware - but equally well it may not; that's the question there seem to be no clear answer to...   Likewise the warranty issue; we'd need input from Sony on that.

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@Risc0n wrote:

@mk1.golf.1983 wrote:

@EggDublin Thanks for the info,  as Caledonian_TV mentioned what is your epg like, I understand that your signal may differ but you're in UK right?

I can barely get a signal here, but it does show all the channels. My main source of TV is Sky....

Yes... But does it show all the programmes?  i.e. are you getting a 'now and next' EPG or the full EPG that you can scroll through quite a bit ahead...

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@Caledonian_TV wrote:

@Risc0n wrote:

@mk1.golf.1983 wrote:

@EggDublin Thanks for the info,  as Caledonian_TV mentioned what is your epg like, I understand that your signal may differ but you're in UK right?

I can barely get a signal here, but it does show all the channels. My main source of TV is Sky....

Yes... But does it show all the programmes?  i.e. are you getting a 'now and next' EPG or the full EPG that you can scroll through quite a bit ahead...

I get option for +1 day, so I can go 7 days ahead? Also if I choose info, then press right it shows now and next on current channel.

EggDublin

@Caledonian_TV wrote:

@EggDublin wrote:

No, I'm not in the UK so I do not get a UK Digital Terrestrial signal. I do get the Irish DTV signal and because the TV thinks it's in the UK I get a "Freeview" Logo on my guide which indicates that the freeview guide may well be on the EU software. 

So you're receiving the Saorview signal?  With the 'wrong' logo? (which could have come from a number of sources)  What's your EPG like though? Full or partial? 

The routine to harvest the Freeview EPG may well be in the EU firmware - but equally well it may not; that's the question there seem to be no clear answer to...   Likewise the warranty issue; we'd need input from Sony on that.

The set is Saorview approved so if I do a full factory reset and select Ireland I will get the full Saorview EPG. After I did a factory reset I changed the DNS settings in my router to UK and selected UK on TV which then changed the EPG to Freeview Logo (and put all the Saorview channels into the 800's) My guide at the moment gives me all the info, not just now and next. 

Satellite Guide is as bad as ever though.

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@EggDublin wrote:

The set is Saorview approved so if I do a full factory reset and select Ireland I will get the full Saorview EPG. After I did a factory reset I changed the DNS settings in my router to UK and selected UK on TV which then changed the EPG to Freeview Logo (and put all the Saorview channels into the 800's) My guide at the moment gives me all the info, not just now and next. 

Satellite Guide is as bad as ever though.

LoL - Dinnae start me on the satellite tuning! :laughing:  - To be fair this is pretty common to all generic Free To Air receivers.  - And that applies to DVB-T tuners too; which is why the cheap sets from Hong Kong have such useless EPGs ( and are a fire hazard to boot!)  - Though the Sony's habit of just deleting and adding satellite channels at random makes it worse than useless.

So... Looks like it's behaving like a UK set...  Which is actually quite hopefull if they get some of the issues sorted for Europe first!  

Presumably then if you were on the East Coast and could get a light off one of the UK transmitters it would just drop the UK channels into the Saorview EPG  - and Vice-versa... Rather than simply blocking the channels as some sets will.  - Interesting!  Many of the big name manufacturers are tied in knots with cross-border rights issues, seems Sony haven't bothered!

EggDublin

Presumably then if you were on the East Coast and could get a light off one of the UK transmitters it would just drop the UK channels into the Saorview EPG  - and Vice-versa... Rather than simply blocking the channels as some sets will.  - Interesting!  Many of the big name manufacturers are tied in knots with cross-border rights issues, seems Sony haven't bothered!

I'm on the east cost alright, just don't have the height to get the NI or Wales signal but yes, I would assume that if I did I would get the UK channels on the normal numbers and Saorview up un the 800's on freeview and vice versa if it was set up for Ireland.

profile.country.GB.title
rnbetsy

2.png

When I contacted knowhow, they said they dealt with the warranty, as the above screenshot would suggest?

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@rnbetsy wrote:

2.png

When I contacted knowhow, they said they dealt with the warranty, as the above screenshot would suggest?

Here's what I got...

Dear Matt,

Thank you for your email dated 26th December 2015. Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response.

After looking into your details, I can confirm that the 5 years gaurantee is with the manufacturers therefore you would need to speak with the manufacturers. In regards to the receipt not having all the information that Sony require, we don't have access to the serial number this will be allocated on the back of your item.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Kind regards,

Paige Standish
The KNOWHOW™ Team

----- Original Message -----

Unfortunately Emma your response does not really address my enquiry.

My set was sold with a 5-year Guarantee; Currys have not provided details of
this.

I would also add that the receipt supplied does not contain the detail
required by Sony; i.e. serial number etc.

As you are aware, ultimately my contract is with Curry?s and not Sony;
whilst the issues are fundamentally of Sony?s making, my rights as a
consumer will in all probability be asserted against Currys.

Please supply details of my 5 Year Warranty.

Matt Quinn,

stmwatch
Explorer

Thanks Caledonian_TV.

The firmware was up to date and the Audio was set for PCM but, having clicked back and forth through all the audio setting and done a reset, things seem to have improved. Still not quite perfect but I'll now plough through the massive online help guide and see if any other audio settings might benefit from tweaking.