Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
frankie1g

What 2017 were did you hear that

Sent from my Samsung device
Anonymous
Not applicable

@frankie1g wrote:
What 2017 were did you hear that

I think @NicolaiLarsen91 was being sarcastic :slight_smile:  However the trueth is that no one actually knows when Marshmallow will be implemented, except that Sony is working on it.

ShazE77
Explorer

Hi, I'm considering buying the KD49X8307C but after reading about all of the problems it's put me off. Have the problems been sorted out after the most resent update or would I regret making this purchase? Having an Android TV really appeals to me and I considered buying a Philips but I just don't think they're as good picture wise. If I don't get a Sony I'm considering a Panasonic although I believe the fire fox platform is more limited app wise. I would really appreciate a response thank you.

elraouk

Don't buy a Sony if any of the below are true:
I want a TV with built in YouViewI want a TV with a built in Sat TunerI want a TV with built in record/pause/rewind for live TVI want an Android TV so I can play games on itI want an Android TV to run plex with DTS pass through 
You will be sorely disappointed with the performance. 
If you want a cheap (ish) 4k Android TV, to use more as a monitor for sky HD or any other external 1080p source then they are pretty much sorted now.  Android runs plex and kodi OK most of the time, dts is an issue in plex and will always need transcoding (this is, I believe, a plex issue). 
Some issues with those running 4k sources into the TV (Sky Q UHD, BT UHD etc), which will hopefully be resolved. 
This was sent using a LG Mobile. On O2
chrgray

@ShazE77, the best thing to do is look at the list of outstanding problems and decide if any are important to you. The list is at http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/2015-android-tv-bugs-and-issues/td-p/2040020

profile.country.GB.title
andipr

ShazE77 -  The posts above mine give very good advice, so pay attention to them.

A little bit of extra feedback from my experience:

I have a generally stable bit of kit, unlike some others here.

I do have issues with lipsync on youtube.

The PIP/PAP functions are next to useless if you are not using the tuner as you can't select alternate sources.

I'm considering Sky Q, but will hold off until I know it's sorted as Sony aren't exaclty speedy with updates here.

Good luck whatever you decide.

My Model KD43X8309CBU
profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

This isn't the best place to ask for advice on getting a Sony tv as most people will say they're the work of Satan. Mine has been mostly very good. It might be better to look at Amazon or Currys reviews etc. Oh and I got a phillips 4k tv which was by a mile the worst picture I've ever seen on any type of tv in thirty years

MrLizard

Mine also works without issue. Had it for a year and despite some early firmware issues it is now working flawlessly.
hankmarvin107

@ShazE77

Android was the only reason I got Sony.  I have multiple other Android devices and expected seamless experience.  It’s not.  Every day I use YouTube via the App controlling the TV and I have issues with reliability.  A lot of Apps you think may be good on the TV are not available  The play store limited. 

I would not only use reviews from Curry’s etc...   I say that because a lot of these people only want a TV for a TV.  They don’t have UHD, don’t use Apps and interact with mobiles.  As some of the last few posts advise, think about what you will use your TV for now and in the next 2-3 years and if there are defects related don’t buy.

Also don’t trust Sony will fix the issues reported on here.  You can see how old some of the issues are. 

The UHD stutter seen on Sky Q and BT UHD, I reported that in June 2015.  Yes over 1 year ago.   Sony did very little until all of a sudden SkyQ updated their software and they realised what a PR disaster it is for them. Sony 4K TVs don’t work with 4K.   I am a little disappointed it’s not made the newspapers.

ShazE77
Explorer

Ok, thank you for your replies guys. Apart from obviously watching TV on it I would want it for catchup, pause live TV, maybe online gaming and I also have a PlayStation 3 and YouTube. I don't have sky just an EE TV box so I can record tv on that. It sounds like its more hassle than its worth. I've spent several days trying to decide what TV to get and need to decide soon as I need more sleep. I'll just have to keep on searching.