Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
si1001
Explorer

Man, is it really that bad? I bought a 43x83 last week and after faffing around with the picture and sound settings it's all looking and sounding OK - I've not noticed lip sync issues on HDMI input or on normal tv.

Unfortunately I'm still thinking about returning it because:

1. The tv is so unresponsive! You press the power button on the remote to turn it off... wait for a few seconds... start to question whether you pressed it right... *then* the telly turns off. Going into the Guide is also quite slow, but not as bad as the power.

2. The main thing for me is the Amazon Prime app: if I watch something in HD, e.g. Suits, it stutters really badly, whether I have the tv accessing the internet via wifi or ethernet cable. It's not my internet connection because if I use the Amazon Fire TV box I have, I can watch the same show without any jitters at all - swapping back and forth between app on the telly and the fire tv shows it is 100% down to the telly.

Can this TV actually cope with a 1080p stream? The weird thing is I tried a 4K stream from Amazon (Sneaky Pete) and that looked much better, far smoother than Suits at 1080p.

It's annoying, as the picture does look really good, and it's quite handy being able to use the android apps I'm used to on the big screen.

gunit1978
Explorer

@ZombieFried777 wrote:

Not sure if Netflix is auto starting from now on, there was a Netflix update on the ps4 the other day and now it seems to start playing everything, I'm only trying to read the description and it starts playing it's a little annoying,  not sure about Netflix on the tv, still not used it. I suppose it's one way for Netflix to get the viewing figures overly inflated maybe Netflix is looking for a buy out. 

Ah cool at least it's not just me, just annoying as it doesn't do it on my fire tv or my phone, ah well hopefully there will be a setting to turn off at some point

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

@si1001

The stutter thing you are talking about, is it almost like a tear ? Example would be if a car is on screen driving, the top of the roof would for a second become infront or behind the bottom of the car?

The lip sync I would say most people get when using ARC to an amp or home cinema system. 

profile.country.GB.title
Kel520

Lip Sync ?? I've never heard of such bull.... or indeed come across a TV that has an option to ajust ...why?

Is the processor that slow that it can't keep up? I have the Sony HT-RT5 sound bar and when that working with the TV lip sync is definately a problem having to faff about with that setting. The volume doesnt sycn right either 100 on the TV 50 on the bar. Not as loud as it should be either I think, at volume 10 ...no sound ?

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

Hopefully the sync issue for Sound bars, amps and other AV equipment gets sorted on the 13th. http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/article/73499

I also get two volumes on the screen at the same time, TV vol and AV vol. Tv showing 53 but the AV showing 20? 

si1001
Explorer

@theshamelessmanc Not really a tearing that i've seen, more like a series of stop start stop start judders, as if it can't get sufficient data (which doesn't seem likely as the Fire TV box works fine).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@theshamelessmanc wrote:

I also get two volumes on the screen at the same time, TV vol and AV vol. Tv showing 53 but the AV showing 20? 

Hi

This is normal operation im afraid. Different devices determine the volume at different scale thresholds.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

@si1001 out of curiosity then, do you have in the picture settings, 24p (auto) selected? I found that when I had this selected any VOD or even HD channels on SKY stopped with the stutters and tearing. But if i had just auto selected, I would start to run into problems on some channels or VOD! Even more interesting, if I do a reboot, my settings still say 24p (auto) but the TV acts as if it is just on the auto setting, so to get round this and stop the stuttering or tearing, I select auto, then re select 24p (auto) and the picture is fine again! Like everything with these TV's... worth a shot I guess LOL!

si1001
Explorer

Thanks @theshamelessmanc I've not looked at that setting, I'll check it later on! (Is that one of the overall tv Display settings, or something particular to one of the VOD apps?)

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

@si1001 I think, you can do it on each input (DVD, PS, SKY) and on any VOD app? I use the action menu button when Im on my selected device or app, go to picture, select the settings I want for that particular app or device. Hopefully this works, would really like to know, because I dont recall anyone else having this issue I had, just found this solution for me by messing about.