Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
peterk_1
Explorer

Reply to Ezhan1

Seeing the network but failing to connect is a problem I've had with Android and Windows8 and the web is littered with advice.  If the TV connected in the past and you have not changed the password or security settings (WEP, WPA, WPA2 ETC.) then I found this stopped the errors. Get the TV connected ( reboot or forget network connection or reboot router) then within the network connections page(s) of your router you should be able to make a setting that the TV only gets a specific IP address and no other device can be given that IP address. I don't know what the Android TV network menu looks like but in generic android the screen where you enter the network password  has "Advanced options" and under IP settings you can change from "DHCP" to the static IP allowed in the router for the TV 

profile.country.GB.title
andipr

Not that it fixes the root cause of WiFi dropouts and it's not suitable for all, but I have my set hooked up to homeplugs and it works a charm.

My Model KD43X8309CBU
DaM3k0n

Anyone suffering garishly saturated colours from youtube, post update??  Image seems fine on standard using Virgin Media as source, but if I try to cast from YouTube, the picture is awful, very bright and saturated colours...

Someboody
Explorer

DaM3k0n wrote:

Anyone suffering garishly saturated colours from youtube, post update??  Image seems fine on standard using Virgin Media as source, but if I try to cast from YouTube, the picture is awful, very bright and saturated colours...

Youtube content always seemed heavily saturated for me even before this update. The problem is that we can't access the Picture Settings when viewing Youtube videos from the Youtube app. I think you can actually see the picture mode change when you launch the Youtube app, especially when you have a duller picture mode selected beforehand. This is something that Sony should look into IMO.

Someboody
Explorer

Anyone have issues with the Volume control not working? I've just had this problem - you can't increase or decrease the volume with the remote controls and have to reboot. Never had this issue before the latest update.

Thanks

Someboody
Explorer

I've got a few issues to report and it would be great if anyone else can confirm these issues if they are having it so that they can be listed on the confirmed ' 2015 Android Bugs and Issues' thread for Sony to address.  @Anonymous

Software Version: PKG2.605.0052EUB

TV Model: KD-55X8507C

1. Videos not playing in Full Screen in the native 'Videos' app.

Description:

Videos sometimes appear on the top right corner or sometimes in the centre at a smaller display size. Here's a picture of what I mean:

The videos are in native UHD resolution (3840x2160) in the .TS format with HEVC codec. Have also had problems with UHD videos in .mp4 format. The problem seems to occur mostly with 4K (UHD) content. These are all videos being played from a USB 3.0 stick plugged into the USB 3.0 port on the rear of the TV. 

Rebooting TV or killing the app does not seem to solve the issue most of the time. Issue appears most of the time, though not all the time. Did not have this issue at all with the previous software version and is definitely down to the recent software update.

Pictures: 

Pic 1 

Pic 2 

Pic 3

2. Inputs sometimes appears blank (blank screen)

Description:

When selecting a particular input, e.g. 'HDMI 1' or 'HDMI 3', a blank black screen would appear just as though there is no input connected. The devices are definitely working, turned on and outputting a signal but there is no picture or sound. Other inputs would work, but a particular input (e.g. HDMI 3) would just show a blank screen. There is no "No signal" message shown which was introduced in the latest software update.

A reboot seems to fix the issue but the problem does seem to occur quite regularly and with different devices. 

Picture:

No picture required - just a blank screen when you select e.g. HDM1 or HDMI 4 etc. 

3. Headphone Jack does not output enough sound

Description

With the purchase of my TV, I was given a free Sony HT-CT80 soundbar as part of Sony's promotion. The soundbar is connected to the 3.5mm headphone jack on the TV as this is the only way I can control the volume of the soundbar using the TV's remote control (cannot seem to do this with the optical output from the TV). 

The Sony HT-CT80 soundbar automatically turns off every 15 minutes due to not being able to detect a live audio input even though the soundbar is actually receiving sound from the TV and playing it perfectly well. I accept that this is a feature of the soundbar but looking at the Sony forums for this soundbar, we are told that the Soundbar isn't getting a strong enough sound output for the soundbar to detect an input. Can Sony fix this issue with their TV?

Thanks.

anjenki75

@Someboody wrote:

3. Headphone Jack does not output enough sound

Description

With the purchase of my TV, I was given a free Sony HT-CT80 soundbar as part of Sony's promotion. The soundbar is connected to the 3.5mm headphone jack on the TV as this is the only way I can control the volume of the soundbar using the TV's remote control (cannot seem to do this with the optical output from the TV). 

The Sony HT-CT80 soundbar automatically turns off every 15 minutes due to not being able to detect a live audio input even though the soundbar is actually receiving sound from the TV and playing it perfectly well. I accept that this is a feature of the soundbar but looking at the Sony forums for this soundbar, we are told that the Soundbar isn't getting a strong enough sound output for the soundbar to detect an input. Can Sony fix this issue with their TV?

Thanks.

I'm not sure this qualifies as a bug. You are trying to use the headphone jack in a way it was not designed for. Generally output devices (which can have multiple inputs) are assumed to be where volume is controlled, otherwise if you are controlling volume at the source you end up with wildly different volume levels between inputs etc. Normally sending sound to an amplified output would be done by setting volume to max on the source (maybe at line level) and regulating the amplification. Having a reduced level at the source which is then amplified is suboptimal, no?

If I remember correctly the Sony even has a setting in the audio menu about the function of the headphone jack: i.e. do you have headphones connected, or another device (presumably with its own amplifier). I'm sorry I don't have my TV anymore so can't verify, but assuming my memory is correct, what do you have yours set to?

Ezhan1

Actually I had the wifi issue on the previuos firmware as well.
miroslavm

Click "Action menu" button when in YouTube and adjust the picture settings. Same for other sources.

wills_b

Well I had it with this TV long ago, but following the release of this most recent firmware update I am going to try and do something about it.

I am not sure the Sale of Goods Act provides quite as much protection as some of us hoped that it would, but I am going to try and reach a settlement. Unfortunately I purchased at launch, and from Currys so I don't have the same consumer protections that others do.

I have contacted Currys, who are saying they aren't liable (in their defence, they've done nothing wrong), and Sony, and I have written to Trading Standards.

The sad fact is that the KD-49X8305C (Only model I can comment on) was sold as a state of the art Android TV, with YouView, HDD Recording, PiP, 5.1 audio, etc etc and has none of those.

I feel disasterously let down by Sony here. I thought that selling a "Netflix TV" with a Netflix button on the remote which didn't have Netflix on it was bad, but sadly things have gone from bad to worse.

I realise that there are some unfortunate engineers trying to get the TV to work somehow, but ultimately someone at Sony is responsible for selling a product that was fraudently marketed and an utter failure at even simple tasks. They are responsible for taking a large amount of money that I saved up over a considerable period of time, they have badly let me down. Shame on them.

I will try to keep people posted if I get anywhere, but my advice would be if you are even remotely in a position to return your TV set, then do so immediately. Honestly, it's not worth hanging around.