Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
HairyFool

However the throughput of the homeplug system is somewhat limited with collision detect reducing that considerably because they do not handle it as well as a true ethernet network. Keep the number of actual homeplug units to an absolute minimum.

When devices are in close proximity it is better to feed one single homeplug adapter into a local switch and wire the devices into that. The switch then handles contention between the devices so the homeplug unit only sees one connection. There are a number of homeplug devices with multiple ethernet ports which are an inbuilt switch, alternatively mount a switch in the cabinet to connect devices to and run a single ethernet cable to the wall socket mounted homeplug unit.

Homeplug units work best on a common ring main and not in the extension lead but in the wall although they can cope with a less than ideal configuration. Paying more does not always mean better, my 1st budget set ran seamlessly for 4 years apart from the occasional power cut but the branded second set they were eventually replaced with needed resetting every few weeks. 

Delano88
Explorer

Hello, I recently Oct 18 2015 purchased a Sony Bravia KDL-60W630B with a built in Netflix app. I know my internet connection is solid and other streaming apps, such as YouTube work great. However, my Netflix app continues to crash and boot me out of the app and back to my regular input. 

Is is there a fix for this, I tried a factory reset and to sign in and out of Netflix. Netflix also claims its not an issue with them. A Sony engineer was supposed to call me but I never received my call. 

Does anyone one have any answers?

Cheers

profile.country.DK.title
tjp.thomas

Wanting to add yet another bug - I have described it below... but am I really the only one seeing this? Here goes:

I have downloaded and applied the new update - and I see some very minor improvements (Guide is still too slow to use - and what is the reason for how it double blinks upon every load?? - did anyone test this at all??). I am still facing issues with the TV set not responding to the remotes and then rebooting itself - this is what happened again last night and this morning:

1. Last night I saw normal TV (Cable) on the set. I turned the TV off
2. This morning I come back to turn on the set. I notice
- It is very slow to light up the LED's at the bottom after I press the power on button - it takes about 5-8 seconds for the LED to light up
- After the LED has lit up, the screen remains blank for about 20-30 secs
- Then I see the program menu bar (still no tv i shown)
- Then sound kicks in (still no tv is shown)
- Then the tv is shown. However, you can tell that the tv set is hard at work since the picture freezes up and tries to adjust itself to the screen (zooming in and out)
- Then the tv set just reboots and we are back to normal functions. There is no error message shown

It is very clear for me that there is some process that is eating up all the CPU and ram on the TV set - and that this is in the end leading to the reboot. 

Am loosing faith in Sony...
andy_11
Explorer

After applied the new update on Sony KD-65X8509C

Picture freezes up and system rebooting itself. This is clearly new problem after update.

shtira

KD 55X8507C

I have the same complaint with GUIDE loading and with the slow remote respond, and many more which I will post separately. But I need time to collect and clasify them all.

Regarding the other problem you mentioned, my feeling and personal explaination goes like this:

you: switch ON

SONY: I am bussy

you: C'mon I want to watch TV

SONY: I am a big system and I am bussy

you: Heeeey it's been 30 sec.  I want to watch TV

SONY: I don't care. I am a big bussy system and I have more important things to do

you: *****

SONY: I am almost done. In the mean time you may sign this declaration and agee that you will wait .... as long as needed

you: reboot

SONY: Oh u r unpatient. Wait again now

.......... at last picture .......

you: press REC button

SONY: No. I don't do that yet. You have to wait for an upgrade. I don't care that the dealer had sold me, stating I have REC function ...

... I'm a big complicated system and .... I'm big .... and and ..... I am important. Not you! You tiny little custommer ... you have only to pay and suffer !

to be continued

shtira

..."I am a self-confessed tech geek and I am losing patience with the TV at times. How on Earth are normal mortals meant to cope?

But I am very happy with the picture quality."

LOL

Man, I think absolutly the same.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@tjp.thomas wrote:

Wanting to add yet another bug - I have described it below... but am I really the only one seeing this? Here goes:

I have downloaded and applied the new update - and I see some very minor improvements (Guide is still too slow to use - and what is the reason for how it double blinks upon every load?? - did anyone test this at all??). I am still facing issues with the TV set not responding to the remotes and then rebooting itself - this is what happened again last night and this morning:

1. Last night I saw normal TV (Cable) on the set. I turned the TV off
2. This morning I come back to turn on the set. I notice
- It is very slow to light up the LED's at the bottom after I press the power on button - it takes about 5-8 seconds for the LED to light up
- After the LED has lit up, the screen remains blank for about 20-30 secs
- Then I see the program menu bar (still no tv i shown)
- Then sound kicks in (still no tv is shown)
- Then the tv is shown. However, you can tell that the tv set is hard at work since the picture freezes up and tries to adjust itself to the screen (zooming in and out)
- Then the tv set just reboots and we are back to normal functions. There is no error message shown

It is very clear for me that there is some process that is eating up all the CPU and ram on the TV set - and that this is in the end leading to the reboot. 

Am loosing faith in Sony...

Have you factory reset, this is a major system update?

rdlowry

I'm also experiencing the TV guide flickering issue recorded here. When the TV guide is opened it flashes on-off-on which is very annoying. Also the audio of the programme currently been watched cuts out temporarily as the guide opens.

Nibor99

Similiar experience this morning - last night switched off the TV
(watching through TIVO) - powered up - nothing but blank screen! After,
say, 20 secs tried home button and tried both digital and TIVO HDMI
channels - nothing. Switched off, tried again a couple of times and
eventually got the Android spinning colours then OK!!

EXCEPT!! - the time displayed on the TV is NOT the actual time (about 20
mins behind) - I would have thought the TV time (on the digital input)
would be provided by the TV signal.

Very puzzling!!
profile.country.DK.title
tjp.thomas

@Risc0n wrote:

Have you factory reset, this is a major system update?

Nope - are you saying this is a must?