Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
scoopy6

willsonline,

If your speakers cannot be linked via CEC, re."Are there any recommendations for a decent simple remote to replace the Sony remote and also work with the volume."

Built-in codes are unlikely to fully cover the controls for the latest Tvs, so the best option might be a universal remote which can learn IR from the original one, carry commands such as Tv inputs on the device selection buttons, and perhaps do some macros. These are decent ones:-

Sony RMVLZ620T

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-RMVLZ620T-Universal-Remote-Control/dp/B003HPOHGS/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UT...

URC 6440 (Can also use 'JP1')

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ONE-Simple-Universal-Remote-Control/dp/B008WWCHBS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=144...

Remotes with screens usually need more button pushing to change activities or devices, but Logitech Harmony 650 has physical activity buttons as well as a colour screen.

49X8309C in uk
bp787787
Explorer

In the android tv menu, I believe under External Inputs, there is an option to set up control of external devices with IR.  This assumes that you have the IR blaster dongle (a USB device) plugged in to the tv and routed to the IR sensor of the device to be controlled.

You will enter in the device brand/model and it will prompt for some tests of power/volume controls.  I do not know if it will do a power on check though, but should at least allow you to control volume.  This worked with an audio receiver I have.

If your device has HDMI input and CEC, which it appears that the sound bar in question above did have, then use that.  Go into the bravia sync menus and be sure that bravia sync is enabled.  You can also select to power on/off devices, enable that.  There is a menu option to scan for all available HDMI CEC devices connected to the tv.  If the soundbar or device is not found, then you cannot control it with HDMI.  However,  if the device is found, then volume will automatically be controlled by the tv and the same goes for power.

I'm in the US, so my menus may be different, but that is how the x850c works here.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Sorry @anjenki75 I was hoping that the setting could manage also optical audio out, instead also in Sony KB there is no such possibility...

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37699/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDQ1NTA3Nz...

cozzykim

@Anonymous

Is it possible to ask whether the audio service for bluetooth headphones could be added?

This would be very useful if it can be implemented

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cozzykim Ive not seen this on any future FW upgrades at this stage, however I will ask for you.

Cheers

PS: if anyone has other suggestions on what they would like to see, please post in the following thread:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/future-bravia-features-requests-suggestions/td-p/224766

Dobbs3
Explorer

Hi Folks,

I've been trying to use USB HDD recording on my new Sony 50W809 but it does not work.  I've done the firmware update so do I:

a. need to do a factory reset?

b. turn off YouView - if so how do I do this??

c. wait for Sony to get this feature working as advertised???

I've 'upgraded' from a 40" smart LG and the picture quality is so much better but USB HDD recording worked without any hassel and it's a must-have for me.

If this is going to get fixed sometime in the future then I'm taking this TV back to Currys for a refund and I'll get a Sammy or a Panasonic.  I'm a fan of Sony products and have purchased them for many years but much like the Sony Experia phones the software/features let the products down.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

mk1.golf.1983

Didn't think youview was available in the UK as yet?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mk1.golf.1983 wrote:

Didn't think youview was available in the UK as yet?

It isnt.  And neither is HDD recording yet.

@Dobbs3 see HERE for the current schedule of updates.

profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

@Anonymous 

I think it is fab what you are doing, there does not seem to be any updates on any of the issues you have submited. I am not accepting the google cast as a Sony fix because it affected many devices and was in fact a buggy update to casting by Google.

With all the evidence you have so dilligently collected I am finding it hard that Sony have still not come back to you. For me at least the 3D and IR Blaster issues are a deal breaker!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Risc0n - Thanks

You are right, the GoogleCast was a Google fix, not Sony's.  Simply because it was a world wide issue.  Other issues are regional, due to the fact that each region is responsible for its own firmware in accordance to their market.

Updates:

As you may have figured out, Sony does not work quickly unless its a criticle and easy fix.  Also, unless they can replicate the problems in thier own labs, its far harder to find a solution if they cannot replicate.  Which brings me to the next 2 issues.  Sony has requested more information from you guys - the community in regards to 2 issues - lip sync and blank screen, which ill type up tonight (hopefully) - as im not exactly sure on what questions need to be asked yet.

In regards to other issues - its all pending investigation.