Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
wills_b

Avoid like the plague. Broken, slow, difficult.

I don't even think the picture is that great on the 8309C, apparently it's a better panel in the 8505 models, but mine really struggles in bright rooms and there's loads of reflections off the screen.

All my own opinions of course, feel free to make your own mind up.
Indy121

That's a shame. Thought the issues would have been resolved by now as they've been around for 5/6 months. 

I was was getting a good deal through some staff discount, but if the issues seem as bad as quoted in here, it isn't worth it, cheap or not. 

Looks like i now now have a choice between;

Samsung JU6400

LG UF770

Panasonic CX680 

I'm leaning towards the Panasonic. 

Kevwoods12

If you're not using apps,  just sky and ps4,  you'll be fine. 

profile.country.en_GB.title
petsmart

Just an update to add to the continued effort. I have the 55x8509c.

Following the most recent update the speed of my tv was significantally improved - mainly seen around navigating menus.

I mainly use Sky so do not have any digital  feedback. Equally dont have many of the issues listes on the foum with my model.

My only remaning issues i have are lip sync while running netflix, plex and on the odd occasion via sky. There doesnt seem to be a pattern to this. Sometimes its fine and the next occasion its bad. (i have my tv connected to a 5.1 Sony Reciever)

and

Graining related issues in select picture modes. This seems to be improved while changing some of the settings but on the odd occasion when standard pictue format is selected i have seen it sometimes quite bad. Often mainly seen on netflix or blueray.

regards

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
andipr

Indy 121 - I have the KD43X8309CBU - running sky HD, PS4 and other devices. Everything is working well for me, Picture for both Sky and PS4 are stunning, only experienced lip sync issues once on one specific youtube video.

I'm guessing I am one of the lucky ones on here, but my experience of owning this TV has been good so far.

My opinion is based on the assumption that Sony will deliver the PAP/PIP, tuners and HDD rec as promised though. 

If it helps here's a link to my video of it running Sky F1 HD broadcast - https://youtu.be/QXgSQP7W1Ak

My Model KD43X8309CBU
Indy121

Nice set up, that is my initial plan of putting the tv on the wall, how easy was that to for? Does it sit quite flush to the wall?

Can I ask what the difference is between the 8305 and the 8309? 

Its a lottery of whether I encounter problems or not. If I end up with a bad set, it doesn't look as though Sony are too bothered. They shouldn't even be allowed to release a tv like this. 

profile.country.GB.title
andipr

Indy121 - My old philips was wall mounted so it was an upgrade project for me.

If you have the tools and patience then an average level DIYer will manage it, but research thoroughly before hand. There are lots of Youtube vids on the subject.

Our walls are plasterboard, so the bracket needs to be hooked up to the supports, feeding cables through can be fun too, you have to allow for both horizontal and vertical supports. I used cable rods (and elbow grease) and punched a series of access holes in the wall which I am replasterng now.

How flush it sits depends on the bracket, how much ventilation you want and the type of install you do. From the side you can see some cabling seeing as Sony decided to put most of the ports on the side.

EDIT -  Forgot to add before - 8305 is 800hz, 8309 is 1000hz - can't remember if bevel colour varies too.

My Model KD43X8309CBU
Heckie

I have a 50W809C and I have to say that apart from a bit of backlight bleed at the bottom, I dont really have any issues other than wanting all apps and sources to output 5.1 via the TV.

I get the occasional lip sync problem in Kodi, but that is easily corrected in the settings when playing.

Hopefully we will get Spotify Cast Support added, and 5.1 audio should be easily fixed by a firmware update.

Not bothered too much by lack of YouView as TBH, I hardly watch TV anymore - mostly just Netflix and Kodi.

Anonymous
Not applicable

profile.country.en_GB.title
orangeyred

That sounds promising.  A joint statement with a firm delivery date and time.  That said, I will be taking bets on whether it's pushed back...