Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
rik_10
Explorer

Hmmm,  no joy in getting any useful information from sony support. They seem to ignore any question concering missing functionallity... and I haven't begun to get rude yet!

Even a phone call to ask for official confirmation as to whether there was an intention to support this in the future only managed to illicit the following fairly useless response...

##########################################################################

Thank you for contacting Sony support. 

In regards to your query regarding confirming future updates to change the current situation with the Youview app and the Satellite channels functionality, please note that unfortunately there is no available software currently to fix this matte; however, we recommend you to check the support page below for your Sony KD-43X8309C on regular basis for future updates to be released: 

https://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/KD-43X8309C 

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this e-mail.

##################################################################################

Seems I need to take this up with another party.
Has anyone contacted any of the consumer groups or BBC watchdog?? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@frogger38 - HDD recording via YouView has never been mentioned in the discussions that I have been involved in.  Personally, I cannot see any technical reason that this could not be implemented in the future - background politics maybe?  

However, i must agree with everyone who has commented about this.  Turning off YouView to record to HDD (when it gets implemented) would be a massive pain in the neck.  Enabling/disbling YouView is not quite a simple tasks in itself

Cheers

Nibor99

For information my email alerts are currently working OK very useful for keeping upto date on developments. Sent from Samsung tablet.
profile.country.en_GB.title
TheVoice

I've had a KDL-50W805C for about two months now, and overall it's been more of a disappointment than anything else. Disappointing picture quality, disappointing build quality (it wobbled and flexed when I took it out the box, like the frame couldn't even hold its own weight), and a really disappointing user experience for which both Sony and Google need to share some blame.

I've had Android phones and tablets for years so the idea of Android on my TV was really appealing and I assumed meant a better variety of apps compared to standard 'Smart TVs', a better experience and the ability to use many of my Google services on my TV. The reality is that the apps are mostly rubbish, whether they're from Google, Sony (the Video app is pathetically basic, for example) or third-party developers. The UK-based on-demand/catchup apps are terrible, with iPlayer looking like it's running on a TV from 5 years ago rather than a modern Android-equipped device. Performance overall is poor; menus stutter and apps take too long to load, so it's clear the CPU/GPU Sony used aren't good enough.

The lack of customisation on the homescreen is poor too, considering this is one are Android is known for. Why can't I choose exactly what's shown? Why am I stuck staring at icons for rubbish apps and services I don't want? Why can't I choose a relevant image for my HDMI inputs instead of them all being identical?

The YouView update was a welcome addition and finally added on-demand services for other channels (that a TV launched in 2015 without them is laughable however), but again performance and user experience is a letdown. I've used a BT TV YouView box and it provided a smooth, quick interface with fluid animation. Sony's implementation feels and looks sluggish, with animations struggling and long load times when changing menus.

As for the various bugs, issues and niggles: The 'info' button on the remote never does anything if you're on HDMI inputs. On my previous Sony TV it'd show the time, input info, picture format etc. Ever since the most recent software update I get 'Screen format: Full" appear now and again at the bottom left of the screen while watching Sky via HDMI. There's seemingly no control over how the TV outputs audio via ARC to a home theatre system which means it's constantly changing the feed causing my AV receiver to 'click' a lot as it reacts to the different signals whenever I change channels, rewind, pause etc on Sky or while watching Blu-rays.

I've also had several occassions where, with the TV off, my AV receiver turns on. It never did this with my previous Sony TV so I can only assume this one is causing devices to wake up for no reason.

I've been trying to decide since this morning whether to return it or not; I think after writing this, I've made up my mind. Sony have launched and sold a product that clearly wasn't ready for release yet and now they're battling to do damage control and fix issues. This approach has become commonplace these days, and ultimately it's always the customer who suffers most. The only way they'll learn that this isn't acceptable is if retailers start complaining to them about high return rates. Or at least, so I hope.

Edit: Forgot to add - the optional Sony Android Touch remote is the most overpriced, gimmicky thing I've seen in a while. It serves no useful purpose, it doesn't make navigating the menus or using the TV any easier or quicker, it feels cheap and nasty yet costs about £50. Fortunately mine was free.

scoopy6

When Customer Services cannot properly respond, this is bound largely to be speculation :slight_smile:

'Too many departments and little coordination between them' seems quite normal. The muddle over imprecise specs is understandable in those terms, and clearly Sony's 'Customer Services' is bound to be struggling too.

The people who 'design' the software specs must have had something in mind, but that does not correspond to what seems to have been possible with other devices, or what has been delivered in the past (e.g. so far, according to the rather limited info here, the older Panasonic Tvs have been good at recording things, while the later models have not kept up).

Of course it might not be good PR for Sony's or Panasonic's CS depts to acknowledge the reasons for these discrepancies but, for customers, the worry is that hardly anyone at Sony or Panasonic seems to know what is going on....it is obvious that that those people, if there are any, are not accessible. It just seems that noone at Sony (or Panasonic) can really do anything or respond, so it is natural that some customers might not be happy.

Perhaps that is just the way things are :worried:

49X8309C in uk
joaosax
Explorer

Anyone bought the "compatible" wireless subwoofer for this TV? 

I was stupid enough to buy the SWFBR100 because when I tried plugging my home theater to the TV via optical cable, my home theater would turn on - off every 10 minutes when the TV was off.

The subfoower was working ok (sound is pretty boomy but acceptable I guess), but now I keep hearing cracking noises from the subwoofer.

I called support and, believe it or not, the guy told me it was my fault because I had to plug the subwoofer to the TV with a CABLE, Sony can not garantee good sound quality wirelesly! hahahahah At least I had a good laugh, the subwoofer is wireless, there isnt a plug on it anywhere.

I am so disapointed with this TV / subwoofer, I wish I could return it.

If you are reading this and are still in the 30 days return period, RETURN IT FAST!

Sony, never again.

Jack

profile.country.GB.title
jwq001

joaosax wrote:

Anyone bought the "compatible" wireless subwoofer for this TV? 

Jack

Works great on my TV (9305c)....

Also you can adjust crossover frequency and level via menu on TV. Set it to a lower level then standard on my TV.

t1mmm9879
Explorer

I just wanted to give some people some hope here...

I have an w805c 43 inch. Sonos Playbar, PS4, Sky HD box.

EVERYTHING works brilliantly. The only issues I had were pre the last patch to do with some high pitch frequencies in the sound but thats it. Now it all appears to be working as expected.

Everything works smoothly, picture is great. 

I'm not twisting the knife here, just giving those hope who have spent a tonne on this TV!

Cheers,

motty79
Explorer

I've also got the 43inch w805 and think it is great now.  I had lots of problems at the start but now it is working great.  I get occasional lip sync issues, mainly on casting apps, but it is only slightly out and usually soon recovers; nothing like the original lip sync issues I had where the soudn was out by seconds. 

I do think the 1080p TVs are much better than the 4k ones.  I don't think I would buy a current generation 4k Sony TV but I would recommend the 1080p ones.

t1mmm9879
Explorer

Agreed with the above!