Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
cozzykim

@royabrown

I know that it's too late for you now but, because of the obvious mismatch between some TVs and even their own manufacturer's sound bars, (the Samsung offerings completely put me off buying a Samsung TV, as they look like a monster design disaster), we bought a Sony HT-XT1 sound base to go with our 55X8509 and we've been more than happy with it, to the extent that I bought another one to go in the bedroom.

To me, that's the most elegant way to solve the problem of having a sound bar in front of the TV, put the TV on top of it. :thumbsup:

Kevwoods12

Question about the supposed pip/pap function :

I can't see a button on the remote that could operate it. Do we think it may be an option in the action menu? 

profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

Does anybody know how to get this android build to let you install non market apps?

I want to install the humble bundle app, so I can install my android apps via it

kind regards

richard

ianbeany
Explorer

When I phoned up I made it crystal clear exactly what the problems are and how they affect all Sony Android TVs,  not just mine.  All I got was 'as its over 30 days a refund is not possible'.  She even went to speak to a manager who confirmed she is correct..  Ive since sent a couple of Emails but its not looking good so far.

Ive sent you a PM mate.

Edit:  This is a reply to Twobins - I dont seem to know how the quote function works on here :nauseated_face:

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@cozzykim wrote:

@royabrown

I know that it's too late for you now but, because of the obvious mismatch between some TVs and even their own manufacturer's sound bars, (the Samsung offerings completely put me off buying a Samsung TV, as they look like a monster design disaster), we bought a Sony HT-XT1 sound base to go with our 55X8509 and we've been more than happy with it, to the extent that I bought another one to go in the bedroom.

To me, that's the most elegant way to solve the problem of having a sound bar in front of the TV, put the TV on top of it. :thumbsup:

Hi cozzykim

We have a Samsung in Spain, with a nice enough Samsung soundbar. Both wall mounted.

i am aware of sound bases, but the Yamaha arrived this afternoon, and the IR passthrough works a treat, as does the soundbar itself. Only slight snag was no ARC through my 2006 HDMI 1.3 cables; even though 1.3 predates ARC which did not arrive until 1.4, the cables should still have the relevant wires connected, and these don't 😞

But it a more modern cable completed the job, and all is well now. These Yamahas throw sound all round the room - you mount a microphone on a little cardboard pyramid and then are banished from the room for three minutes while it boops and squeaks and buzzes its way to the optimum soundstage - after which the sound is pretty 4-and-a-half.1. Nice.

And the TV only did its 'TV-that-wouldn't-die' thing once, turning back on about ten seconds after you turn it off, until it realised its mistake, rebooted itself, and all was well again.

i think there might be an issue with the TV detecting the soundbar - it sometimes does and switches to Audio Out, but sometimes doesn't and stays on or switches to TV Speakers - but I have to do some more work to qualify this issue, if it is an issue, better.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@ianbeany wrote:

When I phoned up I made it crystal clear exactly what the problems are and how they affect all Sony Android TVs,  not just mine.  All I got was 'as its over 30 days a refund is not possible'.  She even went to speak to a manager who confirmed she is correct..  Ive since sent a couple of Emails but its not looking good so far.

Ive sent you a PM mate.

Edit:  This is a reply to Twobins - I dont seem to know how the quote function works on here :nauseated_face:

There's a little blue 'Quote' symbol top right, about where BODY is on the left. It is damn silly that what is quoted is in huge type, though.

30 days can only ever apply to arbitrary changes of mind - you have six years to raise an issue under UK law, and in the first six months the onus is on the retailer to prove you caused the fault, though the boot moves to the other foot after that.

But anyone who is dissatisfied with one of these Sony Android TVs has a clear case for returning it on the grounds of 'not as described'.

After all, would a single one of us keep one of these sets if Sony said 'OK chaps, this far and no further, no more updates?'

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
haberdavid

Hi

I have the 65w859c and a soundbar jbl sb400 that is connected via optic cable to the tv. when i am whatching tv and movies i hear every couple of seconds a tik from the sound bar. (i only use the soundbar as a speaker and the tv speakers are off)

Any one has this problem? 

ianbeany
Explorer

@royabrown wrote:

@ianbeany wrote:

Ive sent you a PM mate.

There's a little blue 'Quote' symbol top right, about where BODY is on the left. It is damn silly that what is quoted is in huge type, though.

30 days can only ever apply to arbitrary changes of mind - you have six years to raise an issue under UK law, and in the first six months the onus is on the retailer to prove you caused the fault, though the boot moves to the other foot after that.

But anyone who is dissatisfied with one of these Sony Android TVs has a clear case for returning it on the grounds of 'not as described'.

After all, would a single one of us keep one of these sets if Sony said 'OK chaps, this far and no further, no more updates?'

Thanks for a most helpful reply :slight_smile:

I was thinking about using the lack of HDD recording as grounds for 'not as described' but Ive noticed they dont mention this feature at all on the JL website.  Does that matter?

Ive been told that not being able to use Youview and Satellite at the same time is grounds for 'not as described' but I know absolutely nothing about the TVs satellite functionality so wouldn't know what to say if they asked me anything about this...lol

profile.country.GB.title
Tarpii

Latest issue with mr 43W755C are:

Sluggish, slow (no) response in just about all screens

Random reboots when trying to turn on from standby

Chromecast doesn't work reliably (TV is not detected by my laptop or tablet

Changing channels takes 5s (more if TV is still 'waking up')

No support for Skype or the SONY USB camera I had working on my 3 year old sony tv.

I've had enough with the TV but my options for return seems limited as it was an insurance replacement. I think Sony can't wait to sweep this range under the carpet and start over with the 2016 models. If my TV is this slow now, I can only imagine future firmwares will make it unbearable. Never again Sony!

haberdavid

Hi

I have the 65w859c and a soundbar jbl sb400 that is connected via optic cable to the tv. when i am whatching tv and movies i hear every couple of seconds a tik from the sound bar. (i only use the soundbar as a speaker and the tv speakers are off)

Any one has this problem?