Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Scottking10
Explorer

Good morning,

I purchased a Sony Bravia 50W80 C yesterday evening. I went through all of the standard set up procedures once I powered up the TV. Once this was complete a message appeared informing me of a software update which I agreed to install. Once it hit 100% the TV rebooted with the Sony sign appearing and then ever since the image below stays on screen. I have tried to do the reset by pressing and holding the up button on the remote and pressing the power button, which didn't achieve anything in the slightest. Does anyone have any ideas of what else I can try?

Cheers,

Scott

image.jpeg

profile.country.GB.title
Bufohunter
Explorer

You are not alone with sync problems on digital input. My week old KDL50W809C suffers badly but only on Freeview HD. The sound starts off in sync when first turned on but soon gets ahead of the picture. Very unpleasant to watch, and indeed last night had to finish watching an hour long programmme in standard definition it got that bad. OK the difference between the sound and picture might only be a fraction of a second but the human brain is accustomed to sound coming after a visual event which I'm sure is why the effect is so disconcerting.

The Sony expert in Currys was no help and the helpline only seems to operate during office hours.

After reading all the problems people have had with Android TVs, especially with advertised features that don't work (i.e. HDD recording which is one reason I went for this set in the first place), I definitely won't be buying Sony again.

xx4L0Mxx
Contributor

@Scottking10

That looks like android is updating. How long did you leave that screen on for? 

It could take up to an hour after updating on first  boot. 

Try again and LEAVE the TV alone for a while when the screen you showed pops up. Do not turn it off or power it down at the plug, All told mine took about half an hour I think. Yours may take longer. 

frankie1g

Mine was picture in picture and that's not even available I really think the stores have no real case to refuse with not as described. Sony has stuffed them right up. Sent from my Samsung device
Scottking10
Explorer

@xx4L0Mxx

Thank you for your reply. 

I had initially waited for around 20 minutes before giving up wondering what was going on. However, thanks to your advice I left it alone and it finally updated and is now fully functional. Your help was much appreciated. 

Cheers,

Scott

profile.country.en_GB.title
kehammo82

Lip sync problems with YouView, when I put sound through BD System less pronounced.

kevski100
Explorer

Hi . 

I have had a remote control that just randomly stops working. The 5 seconds on the power button on the remote obviously doesnt work nor does the power button on the back of the telly. The picture is still workinh though but I have to switch it off at the mains. Sonys tech team are calling me back apparently on tuesday . Will be a shame if i have to have a refund as i love the android tv . Am hoping its a faulty tv . My model is a 43 inch kdl 43w805c 

SingingDwarf

@kevski100 I had exactly the same problem with the remote control with the same model of TV as you. TV went back on Friday.

Let me know how you get on.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@frankie1g wrote:

YAY a new fault last night.

BT remote now has a hi pitched whistle coming from it. How clever is that sony.

It's trying to help you.

It heard someone say 'if you want the advertised features, you may as well whistle for them'.

So that's exactly what it's doing 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
rui789
Explorer

I recently bought a sony kdl-50w805c from Tesco Direct. I tried to you Unblock.us - mannually add DNS and IP adresses, but I can't. 

Any advice?