Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@Peter_S. wrote:

Hallo everyone,

There's some other options to avoid channel refreshing when receiving your channel via satellite.

DSC_0365.JPG

Can you please check if those are disabled as well?

Thanks a lot in advance

Cheers

Peter

As I've said before... And seems to be the case with others. This makes no difference!

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@Publiclyavailable wrote:

Hi everyone,

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues  Can someone repost this onto that thread please. I have to post this as a new thread because, for some continuing reason, I have no "Reply" buttons to the threads I can read.

Last evening, I watched a 4K UHD example broadcast from a European station via satellite for a few minutes - a bit like the Sky UHD one.  When switching channels to the next station, the picture is ultra zoomed-in. The result is that the picture occupies the right hand half of the screen, approximately, and the picture that is there is ultra zoomed in such that only about the top left 10-15%% of the picture is actually visible; like the newsreader's right ear and a bit of neck. This is made up of low res lines and then persists on all channels; it can be removed only by unplugging.

Another interesting quirk for the Sony Boffins to ignore....?

Regards,

PA

The sets lack any facility to set UHD reception parameters properly. More ususally you will get sound but just a black screen...  Fransat for instance; though curiously I've seen this displayed on a Sony set elsewhere; I suspect the chap was using an external tuner.

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@Peter_S. wrote:
the next firmware update for UK end of March will turn your TV back into a UK version.

SERIOUSLY???  -  So there you go folks!  If you're sets a brick because of Sony's failure to understand how  IP routing works just live with it 'till March!  - MARCH? I hear the observant cry?  Christmas Eve's off then!  

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@noelc63 wrote:

@Caledonian_TV

1) Random freezing and resetting

Still there. I had one reset just yesterday after switching between channels on different LNBs.

2) Satellite tuning

Still a pig. Still losing channels that were supposed to be kept and re-adding those that were deleted. See below.

3) 'Favourites' set up on satellite channels is unreliable

Absolutely nothing has changed with respect to this aspect of the set.

5) Using optical out lip-sync issues; picture leads the sound.

I can confirm that this is still an issue with the latest firmware. There is a noticeable lag in anything output over the optical out.

6) No DISEQC control;

I have three sats switching using Diseqc. However, the sat configuration is such a pig, I had to choose the TPs satellite by satellite that contain channels I wanted and tuned each separately.

7) UI is just nuts!

Still nuts. They should look at WebOS to see how a UI should be done.

Thanks for the confirmation Noel...

noelc63

Someone who wants Sony to police what their customers install on their TVs? Are they insane? Sony can't even get the basics right. When and if they do get the basics right, I certainly don't want them telling me what I can install, whether they consider it legal or otherwise.

waynefatboy
Explorer

Ah right well as is all I'm missing is youview which I don't really have a need for at minute as I have sky but if it doesn't sort itself after the March update will follow up with Sony.

Thx for Ur time Peter

Fatz

ANDYST3

Sky uhd one ? Which channel no as i cannot find - i am a sky subcriber with a sky hd 2tb box but cannot find any such channel
profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

OK Sony you've broken me. I thought the TV was better since the update on Dec 10. But now tonight, I'm going to  record all my settings, list the apps installed, and all the app settings. Before a factory reset as advised by Peter. 

Because tonight, I switched from Sky input, to Freeview. Blank screens with sound, would not switch off, then remote taking 20 seconds to regisgister a change. All the remote commands, still coming through afterwards at every 10 seconds. I finally had to unplug it as it was going crazy. 

So Friday night viewing, anything even basic Tv, is ruined. 

If this set is not stable after the Factory reset... Then it's going to get nasty... 3 months I've struggled with something that isn't fit. With delays and empty promises from Sony. 

I'm sure that Sony staff don't have these sets in their own homes, otherwise they would understand our pain.

I promise I will post honest updates here, if the factory rest resolves it or not. Watch this space to see if it is worth in significant inconvenience of losing all my customisations.

Update: 40 minutes later I have a functional Tv. I will not add apps etc until I'm sure it is stable.

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@ANDYST3 wrote:
Sky uhd one ? Which channel no as i cannot find - i am a sky subcriber with a sky hd 2tb box but cannot find any such channel

It's not Sky UHD anything... - Your SKY box won't be capable of receiving or decoding this. 

The Astra satellite - which sky, among other broadcasters use - it transmitting a short 'showreel' in UHD.  If you connect your dish directly to the TV set... Run the satellite tuning, in among the other channels you'll find it.   But it is only a short showreel...

spook63

@waynefatboy wrote:

Ahh right I had it set up with a dns proxy to access American Netflix maybe that confused the update then

Same problem here, no fix available apparently. Unacceptable.