Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Publiclyavailable wrote:

Latest news dated 22 December from Sony.

Looks like they're trying to deflect the blame towards the remote rather than the OS and the TVs judging by the number of times they mention the remote control in three lines (3). Hard to believe that my remote is causing my TV to clog up its own memory and develop a mind of its own.  Poor effort Sony. Just fix the sets.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/android-tv-features-uk-22-dec

PA

Not quite that, I think, unless a firmware release can magically reach out to your remote and cause it to mend its ways.

These problems are actually in the code on the TV that handles its responses to key presses on the remote, and it is this that is going to be tightened up. To be more responsive and better able to recover when what it thinks it saw the remote flash at it leads the code into a dark place it cannot seemingly escape from.

i conjecture. But certainly, I have seen behaviour that makes me think the code on the TV needs better debounce handling.

(i.e. on receiving a keypress, to ignore anything else it thought it saw the remote do for a few milliseconds, and only accept consecutive presses in line with the capabilities of the human hand and brain, and nothing faster than that).

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@cozzykim wrote:
The only functionality that I miss from the Bravia is the integrated chromecast, the casting on the Sammy JU7000 is a bit clunky by comparison.

A Chromecast cost me £25 from Currys with a £20 Google Play voucher thrown in. Buy one, plug it into your Samsung, and pretend it is part of the set 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
Al_Charles

Can anyone recommend a good wireless keyboard, maybe with a touch pad that works with the Sony KD55x8509 Thanks Sent from my iPad
Abercrombie

Logitech K400 wireless keyboard works well. Has a touchpad on the side. Also works well with PS4. About ?30 online, cheaper if you go on eBay.
profile.country.GB.title
continentalgt187

Why don't you try the "TV SideView" keyboard app on your ipad, it's free and runs quite well just takes a little getting used to.

The android keyboards I tried were a little hit and miss with many key functions not working with my KD49X8305

andykwong
Explorer

@cozzykim wrote:

@Clarksdale wrote:

I have returned a 55X8509 to Currys for a full refund after 14 days with no hassle.

I have noticed that the description for this set has changed on Richer Sounds as follows "USB recording will be available before 31st March 2016. However, due to the technical complexity implementing this feature, the final release date(s) stipulated on Sony's support site may be subject to change. For PiP/PaP feature Browser/Tuner, USB/Tuner, Tuner/Tuner combinations are not available. NOTE: HDD recording (REC) and Satellite features are not available if YouView functionality is enabled. YouView on Sony TVs will offer consumers a consistent and easy to use YouView experience, including scroll back, search, discover and catch up TV (BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, All 4 and Demand 5). YouView functionality includes access to all the normal free-to-air channels via the YouView guide and mini guide.

This has only just changed in the last few days, so I assume Sony or RS are covering their backsides in the in the event of returns due to SOG.

You guys are becoming habituated to the faults in these TVs, a sort of 'Stockholm Syndrome' as I've said before.

Today I've done several things that were either impossible or difficult with my, returned, 55X8509.

1. Tuned to the Astra 28.2 UHD demo

2. Recorded it on a 16GB USB drive

3. Tuned back to FreeSat

4. Started watching 'Ice Station Zebra' on DTV/FreeView

5. Checked that both DTV and Sat tuners were working by starting PIP on the same channel

Samsung UE55JU7000_PIP.JPG

The only functionality that I miss from the Bravia is the integrated chromecast, the casting on the Sammy JU7000 is a bit clunky by comparison.

To be honest, that Samsung UI looks really clunky compared the Sony. I got a great deal on my X83c, and can live with not having recording to USB and PIP for the meantime.

matt2807
Explorer

Has anyone managed to return their Bravia as late as 6 months after purchase?

It has become unusable almost its just so unresponsive. 

Factory reset is only a temporary solution - its that bad it wont even turn off when i press the off button.

If I cant return it is there anything else I can do?

They released an update a few months ago and it made the TV so fast and smooth then they made the update wit youview and its worse than ever. Why couldnt they have just kept it fast and responsive

elraouk

I often wonder if there should be a UK firmware without Youview, so basically the EU firmware... But officially available for UK sets. 
profile.country.GB.title
continentalgt187

I disabled YouView in settings because I didnt need it, I dont know what difference it makes although I noticed the TV does power down quicker when turning it off so I figured it could possibly destabilise the general operation of the TV.

I have a sky HD box, TVonics DVR (via SCART) and a Denon DVD player connected and the set is currently performing faultlessly.

profile.country.GB.title
pepitoe

@elraouk wrote:
I often wonder if there should be a UK firmware without Youview, so basically the EU firmware... But officially available for UK sets. 

Agree, if all future firmware updates are going to be delayed in the UK due to Youview then we should be able to switch to a version without it.