Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Davidrfarr
Explorer

Thanks mk1.golf.1983 - third power off at the wall got android running.and eventually have got through the set up and tuning process. Now have to see how it behaves!!

SimonM_DK
Explorer

@Tarzion wrote:

@SimonM_DK wrote:

I just tried my first factory reset which has resulted in an unresponsive TV (55W755C) with a black screen... Do you normally get any status indication when performing the operation? -and how long does your TV take to do a reset?

Hard restart (power plug) has no effect. The reset was attempted after successfully updating to 3.179 (EU).

Best Regards

Simon

I had exactly the same problem and I ended up replacing the TV.

Even if you manage to fix it, the problem will return and get worse.

EDIT: Are you based in the UK and is your TV UK sourced?

I managed to bring the TV back to life by unplugging the power 3 times, as others now have mentioned. This is certainly not the most user friendly television Sony has ever produced (comming from a fat Z4500 series Bravia) :slight_smile:

To be fair, I bought the TV on sale knowing that it was a first generation Android TV product - thus expecting some software issues. I really enjoy the image quality so far (turning off all the auto enhancement stuff and using the Cinema Pro color settings) and the only major gripes I have are:

1) The digital program guide (not YouView) which takes you away from whatever content you are watching (no background image or audio) - and it displays the current channel as the first entry in the guide, which means that one always have to scroll up to see all adjacent channels. Small issues, but they matter in daily use...

2) Channel list editing forces you to switch the channels, while it should simply insert the channel above the spot your moving it to...

3) Occasioal stuttering while changing channels, turning the TV off etc... I can live with the apps not working, but come on Sony - the TV experience ought to be smooth as butter.

4) Sometimes the TV thinks it has no internet connection,  even though it uses hard-wired ethernet...

I'm based in Denmark by the way, and I just bought the TV last week.

waynefatboy
Explorer

Yes mate it restores it

elraouk

Is the option "Settings - > Home Screen - > Apps and Games - > Organise apps and games - > Customise order" new?  
Took a while for it to register that I wanted to customise the order, but got there eventually.  Still doesn't let me delete the apps I don't want to see or do anything with featured apps, but will hopefully pin plex and kodi etc. where I left then. 
DarrellM
Explorer

My TV has just downloaded the latest firmware update, restarted and updated. Once finished updating it boots into the android swirly beads animation and then reboots back to the Sony logo. It does this now is a constant loop. It will no longer boot to the menu screen. 

What at the hell do I do??

DarrellM
Explorer

Tried unplugging power and leaving off for 5mins + and disconnecting all leads. It's still stuck in this booting loop. 

TV is now unusable. Cannot perform a factory reset since it won't boot to the menu. Please help Sony

The TV model number is KDL-43W807C

A very unhappy customer.

profile.country.GB.title
Raichuu

Did anyone else get MAX volume with the system beeps and selection sounds?

Everything else is fine but the beeps are definitely super loud...

scoopy6

Since we went to VSDL part-fibre broadband the last upgrade went much quicker and only took about 45 minutes. It included the usual firefly animation at start up. The only change noticed so far was that Bluetooth devices needed to be re-paired.

Re. SimonM_DK:-

"1) The digital program guide (not YouView) which takes you away from whatever content you are watching (no background image or audio) - and it displays the current channel as the first entry in the guide, which means that one always have to scroll up to see all adjacent channels. Small issues, but they matter in daily use...

2) Channel list editing forces you to switch the channels, while it should simply insert the channel above the spot your moving it to...

3) Occasioal stuttering while changing channels, turning the TV off etc... I can live with the apps not working, but come on Sony - the TV experience ought to be smooth as butter.

4) Sometimes the TV thinks it has no internet connection,  even though it uses hard-wired ethernet..."

The points in 1. and 2. are well taken. Improvements to the EPG are long overdue but presumably a major overhaul will need to be done to implement recording recording so here's hoping the messages have got through the heirarchies.

Agreed that Point 3. remains, and that it gives a poor impression of Sony's efforts so far.

At first Sony was said to have responded that it 'could not be replicated by engineers' while, later, I think users' issues threads suggested that it had been acknowledged. However I don't think Sony yet claimed that any upgrades have addressed such specific and well documented issues.

We use ethernet too and have most apps disabled, except for a few internet things like i-Player, but have not yet seen problem 4. unless the Tv has been in the process of coming out of standby, when I take it the Tv might have been looking for 'recommendations' etc. (if enabled).

49X8309C in uk
adyjay33

So basically it seems this "New" FW has actually created many more issues that its fixed, especially with some having the TV turned into a use pile of.... well if thats how Sony send out FW updates that screw up TV's that were previously working (Okay just about working) then I dont hold out any hope of them ever fixing them.

Sony... sorry but you need to sack this code developer or the whole team and get a bunch of school children in as they have more chance of doing it properly than the ones you have now!

Im not going to update mine, howver if I did and it screwed it up it would go straight back and a refund given, its all Sonys fault!

KD-55X8509C LATEST FIRMWARE
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!
oodles2do

I updated my TV yesterday too, and so far it seems to have made a decent improvement in the overall performance. I haven't noticed any of the issues that you all seems to have gotten fom it, I haven't noticed any lip sync issues, my soundbar is connected through HDMI ARC.