Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

@Tarzion wrote:

This problem is not linked to YouTube but with the underlying tuner software module.

This problem was not there in the previous version of the firmware.

Perhaps English is not your first language. The 'error' was wholly mine. The remote needed new batteries that's all.

RodBRUK40

And here we go again! Yesterday after the update all was perfect and smooth on the TV..... but this morning, the TV was so slow I couldnt even open Netflix and took me a while to get to settings, horrible.  I had to restart the TV obviously.  So, nothing fixed for me with this firmware update.... Come on Sony!!

profile.country.GB.title
Marty.S

KD-49X8309C 2015 4K TV. purchased October 2015, mainly using Youview, catchup TV and a few apps. I have a Sony 5.1 sound system connected via optical, Bluray and Humax Foxsat via HDMI.

I loaded via OTA to 3.179 yesterday morning, no factory reset this time,left the TV on all day and tested fairly extensively. My previous issues were with slow response from the remote eventually leading to freezing and having to soft or hard reboot, inappropriate error messages appearing, random reboots, blank screens, crashing during catch-up TV playback. Since the update the system response is much faster and there have been no specific errors or crashes, it's early days I know so will reserve judgement on that. One definite difference, on the previous version after a soft or hard reboot it defaulted to the home page and I had to wait several minutes for recommendations etc. to load before anything sensible could be done. Now after a reset it defaults straight to Youview TV and the home screen items load in the background. While this is happening there is a very slight slowness for a while which you can see, for example, when turning the volume up and down. So it seems to me Sony are trying to get the TV picture up first while the OS carrys on booting in the background (just like Windows does on a PC). No issues with sound, lipsync, Bluray or Humax playback. One point of interest is I have the sound set to internal and since the 10th December update I have simultaneous sound from the internal speakers and the Sony 5.1 sound system which I don't think is meant to be possible. And they're both in sync! More later if anything changes.      

willapp
Explorer

I guess at this point I must be one of the few people hoping that the latest firmware doesn't fix my problems - I've got an engineer coming tomorrow from John Lewis and have decided I really want to be shot of my TV and get a decent Samsung instead, so I may actually be annoyed if the firmware has made it better!

Applied the firmware update this morning but I won't be able to test it until I get home from work tonight, so it'll be a frantic evening spent trying to confirm what issues still exist and how I can reproduce them tomorrow for the engineer so he'll agree that the TV is not fit for purpose.

profile.country.GB.title
petersincock

24 hrs now since the update and no issues to report. I never suffered from the sound lag issue socall OK there. The overall performance of the TV has improved and no more "full" pop ups. Watched in to darkness 3d last night and was really impressed .

KDL-43W805C 

ronniebr
Explorer

@psp888

My 55x8509 also turned itself on in the middle of the night after the update.  Then it wouldn't turn off using the remote so I unplugged it from the mains and then when I plugged it in again it looked like it was dead - no Sony logo and no boot screen.  I had to disconnect and reconnect the mains twice more before it gave me a boot screen.

Tarzion

@angelacr wrote:
@Tarzion wrote:

This problem is not linked to YouTube but with the underlying tuner software module.

This problem was not there in the previous version of the firmware.

Perhaps English is not your first language. The 'error' was wholly mine. The remote needed new batteries that's all.

Thank you for reminding me that..

profile.country.GB.title
petersincock

One question if I may. Is auto picture mode supposed to be greyed out when watching digital TV?  It's not on all the inputs but is greyed out on digital TV. My previous Sony auto detected scenes on digital TV. Many thanks 

mattstev

Just updated. Took about 25 mins. Then did a factory reset just to make sure all was good. I have a KD-49X8307C.

Lip Sync seems to have improved.

Have YouView turned on and seems to be working.

TV has yet to freeze.

So far so good 🙂

adimarsyyy
Explorer

I have a sony kdl-50w809c, after yesterdays update 2.2.2016, the tv stopped responding, after turning off the power straight out of the wall and plugging back in, the tv worked. Today i could start the TV using the remote control, but after that neither the Remote nor the controls from the back of the tv work. Downloaded a Remote software so i could navigate through the Menu, but i can't control the volume, channel or turn off the tv.
What should i do?