Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
ATROCIOUS
Explorer

I'm not usually one for posting negative feedback, however, I feel compelled to share my bad experiences with the SONY x85 55" Andriod TV's and Sony support team, like many others have done on here.

My new X85 Andriod TV(s) came with numerous issues that prevented me from being able to use them for 2 months until Customer Services finally decided to replace the unit.

The issues are best explained as:

• NETFLIX not working
  • TV took 1m:45 seconds to start up each time (black screen)
  • No Internet browser
  • TV freezing randomly
  • Poor TV resolution  
  • TV randomly turned itself off

Regardless of reporting these problems within the 28 day return period, I was pulled from pillar to post over a 2 month period with the SONY Support team/Customer Services whilst i was taken through the motions of 'having to prove' these issues existed so that they could authorise a replacement unit. 

I was informed by Steve at Customer Services my Android TV was the only TV with the aforementioned issues, irrespective of the numerous complaints posted on the SONY Community website experiencing the same issues.

I was made to provide evidential pictures of all the faults inclusive of videos and send them into the SONY support team, and take 2 days early leave from work so that I could 'fit in' around the SONY Support teams working hours. SONY Customer Services responded appallingly and they will not allow the case to be escalated as the buck stops with them (no management was made available to me after numerous requests). Since my TV was replaced last week there has been no follow up to check on the status and there has been no apology offered for the inconveniences caused.

This has been an horrendous experience and I could go on to explain further complaints, however, I would urge anyone who's thinking of buying a SONY Andriod TV to steer cleer until such time the Android TV is out of BETA testing (that's clearly where they have been since being made available for purchase).

profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi @ATROCIOUS

Have you upgarded to the last firmware? The Netflix and Internet browser App got added/updated on a later update.

As you are saying the internet browser isn't there, my gut feeling says you are not running on the latest update.

Go to Settings -> About and then SW update.

Cheers

Nico

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)
profile.country.GB.title
jwq001

@tweety2b wrote:

Hi @ATROCIOUS

Have you upgarded to the last firmware?

Cheers

Nico

Must say that, on my 55x93 I have the latest software, and at least once a day it does a spontaneous reset....

Also, if I don't switch of the mains at the end of the day, it refuses to start up next morning. I have to pull the plug and restart it....

Apart from that the picture is great.....

Nibor99

Hi!!

I am hoping that someone be able to offer some help and advice.

I purchased a Sony KD43X8309CBU about 14 days ago from Currys and have struggled to get a satisfactory set up for what might be called regular TV viewing including sports like Tour De France and motor racing F1.

Practically ALL the presets (apart from Photo Vivid) are soft / out of focus (and I have both updated the software and used factory settings)

The supplied Currys "Knowhow Picture Perfect" CD has proved helpful as has the "My PicturePerfect "website (AV Forums) but I still haven't been able to get the good definition I feel the TV is capable of. Also I am getting unwanted artifacts on panning shots as well as shimmering - eg on helicopter roof tile shots (Tour de France) / motor racing crash barriers and even panning shots on BBC HD newsroom programmes.

I am using HDMI 1, have highest quality leads and the source is Virgin Media.

1. I am beginning to wonder if the TV is faulty.
2. Has anyone else had problems with soft pictures and if so how have they been overcome.
3. Will adjusting the resolution setting help?
4. Should I return the TV?

I have included a settings record which I have been using to help track down the best settings - if someone would like to jot down and return their preferred settings it would perhaps give me a clue as what to try next.

I am looking for sharp, natural colours without any motion artifacts.

Many thanks for reading about my issue and I hope someone will be able to help.

Robin

SONY 4K TV Settings

Channel:- HDMI 1

Date:-

Picture

Mode

Auto Picture

Brightness

Light Sens

Colour

Advanced

Brightness

Brightness

Contrast

Gamma

Black

Black Adjust

Adv Cont Enhanced

Colour

Colour

Hue

Colour Temp

Avcd Colour Temp

Live Colour

Clarity

Sharpness

Reality

Resolution

Rand Noise Redn

Dig Noise Redn

Motion

Motionflow

Film Mode

Advanced Col Temp

R Gain

G Gain

B Gain

R Bias

G Bias

B Bias

Gain advance point

R Off

G Off

B Off

Abercrombie

Try these settings for the x830: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-brand/sony/x830c/settings

Sent from my iPhone
dspencer999

Is anyone else experiencing excessive pinks on faces?

It happens intermittently, but then looks like everyone has got some kind of radiation poisoning!

Viewing close up, I can actually see the pink blur flickering on some level. I've now changed the settings in line with those suggested by Abercrombie, and it still happens.

Anybody else? Or is mine faulty?

Nibor99

Abercrombie,

Many thanks - I will explore the settings!!

Cheers

Robin

chpetzn
Explorer

I've had a phone call from Sony to apologise for the way I was treated, in return, I've removed the link to the story...

Chris.

Anticitizen0ne
Explorer

Just to add to this After 2 weeks I got an update from 3rd tier of support for my TV and I dont think Ive ever been more insulted. 

"please make sure whe your updating your TV, your tv is not near and thing that gives out radio waves. Eg a Microwave....."

"Also make sure you do it via LAN."

2 weeks for that. WHAT. A. JOKE.

To top it off the guy I spoke was so suprised at this response. 

Literally the worst customer support Ive ever experienced. Iver always been a Sony guy but this is pretty much enough to never buy Sony again.

JulianALB
Explorer

I have to add my voice to the chorus of complaints about these new sets.

I purchased a KDL-50W755C in June 2015 and have been through 3 firmware updates so far.

I am getting pretty tired of having to reboot my telly as often as I do, it shouldn't be this difficult to watch the TV.

The Lip Sync on this product is awful for HDMI video sources (with or without a sound bar).

The DNLA streaming though the internal Video App is poor and can regularly not 'see' any DLNA devices on my home network. There are several other Sony TV's on the same LAN that can comfortably detect and stream video from the Synology server I have used for the last three years.

I am at the point of returning this set and buying a different TV.