Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.en_GB.title
petsmart

regarding sky q: I had this installed at the weekend. I did the firmware  updates on the sky q box and then switched to the 2160 resolution to test the output. i have used it so far without any issues - no juddering. It downscales on standard and HD channels and operates fine. I downlaoded the Documentary in 4K about cats (via sky box sets) and also played this without any issue (so far).  How long were people waiting for the juddering to kick in? and was it also happening on for example an HD channel?

With regards to recomending the TV. I would at the price some of the sets are now at. When I initially bought mine i was very disapointed with the issues based on the price i paid. However, its pretty stable for me too now apart from youtube lip sync and getting 5.1 via the inbuild cast feature via plex.

(55x8509c)

MrLizard

To be fair I use my TV's apps pretty heavily.  Mainly the catch-up services, Netflix, Amazon Video and YouTube, in 4K where possible.  I don't have Sky (out of choice, I might add) so I cannot comment on the Sky Q issues.  I did have the occasional issue with the Channel 4 catch-up service but that seems to have been ironed out now.
Something I would add here is that when I was looking at TVs last year (and I looked at a considerable number, just ask my wife!), the Sony TV I bought had what I considered to be the best picture, although I note this is subjective (e.g. I wouldn't touch a Samsung with a barge pole as I consider the picture to be somewhat synthetic and unrealistic, others would strongly disagree).  This ultimately was why I bought it.  The OS and apps are of course very important as well, but you can change that very easily with a Fire stick/Apple TV/PVR/etc...  You can't change the screen.
rab1973
Explorer

I have to pay for mine this month (£1000) If only I could rewind 12 months.
Top tip,don't even think about buying one.

Sent via Galaxy S5
ShazE77
Explorer

I don't want to give up on Sony just yet. I might wait until the xd70 comes out in September and hope that Sony has learnt from their mistakes with last year's models. 

hankmarvin107

no evidence that Sony learn from their mistakes.

They launched Android TVs back in early 2015.  From March/April I think.  These issues existed then and the 2016 TVs that came out in March 16 with a lot of the same issues.

1 year time gap same mistakes.

ShazE77
Explorer

Oh ok. I just read an article on the new models coming out which will be updated to marshmallow later this year and it said that google are working on fixing the errors and bringing the operating system up to speed. Also Sony will employ a faster processor. 

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@ShazE77 wrote:

Also Sony will employ a faster processor. 

Which will be a fat lot of good to the owners of 2015 and 2016 sets, even if it does speed up the mess for the next generation.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
ronniebr
Explorer

I don't tend to watch broadcast TV in long stretches any more. I usually switch between broadcast TV, Netflix, Amazon, IPlayer, etc.

The Olympics have been an exeception to that and after watching for a few hours I have now seen the UHD stutter problem with the BT Ultra HD box and my x8509.

The really annoying part is that I had to buy the BT box to work round the lack of recording and the lack of STV player in the Sony FreeView implementation (neither of these limitations was made obvious when I bought the TV).

I also still occasionally have the problem where the x8509 spontaneously reboots when I select the BT box (reported some months ago but very hard to reproduce).

I now have a new problem which is much easier to reproduce.  If I try to display the output of my Panasonic TZ100 camera through the x8509 with HDMI control enabled (so that the colour keys on the TV remote control can be used to navigate through the pictures) the TV will reboot with almost 100% reliability after a handful of pictures.

RonnieBr

Mironelul
Explorer

This is an "old" issue, but not sure how much it was later on discussed inside the topic.

I was willing to know if there is any actual difference in the MontionFlow values between models - even though I already have the 55W807C (the store didn't have the 55W808C, though others did at that time) and even though I am not a big fan of the Motion Interpolation itself (usually keeping those settings to Minimum).

I am talking about the: 55W807C and 55W808C / 55W809C.

Does anybody know if the MotionFlow XR constrain is held by the TV's hardware/panel or if it's only related to the software?

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable