Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
frankie1g

Not many uhd players being used yet I bet it does happen and I bet the Sony ones are the worst

Sent from my Samsung device
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@Brigante01 wrote:

I find it weird if bluray players are not affected. If it affects STB's and PC then what's different with the bluray.

From the PC it's much worse than the videos posted above.

According to Sony, as reported by Quinnicus, it's the 'differing HDMI formats'. Hard to know what these might be, though all sorts of things are allowed for in those standards.

But given that much minor judder is ascribed to 50 fps versus 60 fps, or even 30 fps versus the 29-point-something of NTSC, we might hazard a guess that this is the difference, and 24 fps survives OK?

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking

Since yesterday (Monday, 29 August), my Bravia TV as been playing up.

Model number KD-49X8309C (4k 2015 model), bought November 2015.

Has there been a software update recently? The last I could find mentioned on here was in July - I'm sure it would have updated itself with that one before now.

What happens to the TV is a bit wierd and hard to explain:

• It seems to be working fine, and as long as you don't do anything, you can keep on watching Sky, for example.
  • But then after, for example, scrolling around on the Home screen for a short while, or using an App (e.g. Netfix), it appears to freeze.
  • The screen goes black, any video and sound disappears
  • However, the TV is reponsive to the remote (the light on the front flickers when a button is pressed) and some menus will display - e.g. The Action Menu
  • The only way to get back to a working TV is to reboot, by pressing and holding the Power button on the remote - then it starts again.

Anybody got any idea why this might have just suddenly started?

Thx, Nigel.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@nigsmith67

Hi

There was a Home Theater Control app Update Friday afternoon for my set KD-55X8508C.(Google Play Store)

I had an almost similar issue? I could browse all Digital channels but there was no picture an sound and everything was extremely slow. Menus were slow too. I tried to change to General Satellite, pressed and chose many times until respond to command and when entered there was also no picture and sound.

I removed power cord for about 15 seconds and then re-plug. TV started and everything was OK again till now.

Today I cannot see this Update in My apps. HoemTheatreControl app is version 1.2.1.3 but I cannot say this was the cause for sure.

Try to Clear all cache from System - Storage & reset - Storage - Cached data - Clear cached data? OK

Then reboot to check.

If problem remains try a factory reset....

Thanks for the suggestion MiCal - unfortunately that does not seem to be the problem in my case 😞

Anyone else got any ideas?

If not I'll ring Support tonight - this is doing my head in!!!

Thx.

crdonel
Explorer

My TV started to do exactly the same today  - won't even get to the android lettering in the boot process

I will never buy SONY products again!

crdonel
Explorer

Same here!!!

Just a month out of warranty too - convenient or what!!

aoriol

@crdonel same here, no more Sony products ever again. Are you experiencing a boot loop as well? Please drop me a message if you ever find a way to fix it 😕

ronniebr
Explorer

I recently had a boot loop with my 55x8509c and my BT Ultra HD box.

I selected the HDMI input for the BT box on the TV and then powered up the BT box.  This caused the TV to reboot continuously.

The only way I found to stop the loop was to power down the BT box and then the TV managed to finish booting.  I then selected a different HDMI input to the BT box and then switched the BT box on and after a few seconds selected the HDMI input for the BT box again and was able to use it.

Swarfega
Explorer

Can I report a bug that doesn't appear on that list?

I purchased the KD55X8509C about 5 months ago and have had the issue since getting it.  I use the TV with a Sony HT-CT260 soundbar plugged in via ARC.  It uses CEC so when I turn on the TV it also turns on my soundbar.  Likewise it also controls the volume via the TV remote control.  The issue is when moving between inputs (HDMI, TV or Netflix) the TV is telling the soundbar to go into standby.  I either have to turn the TV off and back on again or use the soundbar remote to turn it back on again.

I've tried various resets of the TV and the soundbar but none of it fixes the issue.  I can turn off CEC on the soundbar but that means I have to manually turn it on and control the volume via its own remote control.

Tags (1)