Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
dspencer999

The picture is still dreadful on my 8509C, despite spending hours calibrating it in line with this forum and recomendations on the AV Forum. The main issue I have is that every time a scene changes, it's like someone has just adjusted all the colours and clarity.

On SD Freeview, this seems to be particularly highlighted, but is the case on everything; HD Netflix, HD Freeview, and Blu Rays.

cozzykim

Very strange, the picture is about the only thing I can't find anything to complain about, maybe you need to exchange the TV for a replacement?

dspencer999

Cozzykim - Are you on Freeview? That's where most of the issues are for me.

cozzykim

Good question, no, I generally watch FreeSat from a Humax HDR.

I could have a look at Freeview though, The GP qualifying is about to start on BBC2 HD and I was going to have it on in the background anyway.

Athletics now on BBC2HD, looks fine to me, especially Jessica Ennis :heart_eyes:

cozzykim

Just a thought dspencer999, do you have a dynamic/adaptive picture setting set somewhere, these are my basic settings:

http://i60.tinypic.com/317ecxz.jpg

(Dohhh! can't embed images on here)

Suzi Perry - Phwoooarr :wink:

I also think that broadcast colour, sharpness, and luminance vary considerably over channels and content, maybe you're just over critical because the TV shows up the mediocre content?

cozzykim

BUG REPORT (Can I sign up as an official tester :wink: )

Watching Freeview (Digital tuner input) BBC2 HD with the sound on my HT-XT1 via HDMI on the TV input.

I pressed PWR>Vol Down on the TV remote, on the offchance that it would take a screenshot (nope) and the TV powered off, along with the HT-XT1 via CEC.

When I powered the TV back on with the TV remote the XT1 came back on as well and I noticed that the audio blip previously reported in the thread was now present.

I timed the blip as every 5 seconds for a minute.

I turned off the XT1 and the sound reverted to the TV, with no blip present.

I turned the XT1 back on, blip still there.

I then went to the Home menu, switched to the HDMI4/ARC input from my FreeSat HDR, no sound blip.

Went back to Home and switched to the TV/Digital input, sound blip was gone

Hope this helps anyone who has seen or gets this problem.

Sony, we have a problem :wink: Some kind of bug in the ARC channel firmware maybe?

dspencer999

cozzykim - I'm 99% certain I have all dynamic/adaptive settings switched off.

That screenshot says it all though - you can see from the photo that Suzi Perry's skin tone is spot on. On my TV she'd look like she had blotchy skin, however I set it.

I don't think I'm being over critical - was very happy with previous Samsung PS51E6500, until it developed vertical lines down it. Every channel looked good once I'd calibrated it. But on this TV, the quality changes dramatically between scenes, not programmes.

I think it's just faulty to be honest. My issue is that I can't decide whether to ask for a direct replacement, or to swap to a Samsung JU7000/7500.

cozzykim

One more thought, what's your signal strength and quality like?

While watching the Digital TV (Freeview) input:

Go to 'Help' in the Home menu, and scroll down to signal diagnostics.

Wait a few seconds while the strength and quality bars are populated.

Mine are 100% and 98% respectively.

EDIT: P.S. That's with a simple 23 element aerial pointing at Winter Hill approx 50miles away, and with a pretty big hill in the way about half a mile away. I do have a signal amplifier, but it would be interesting to see what happens without it. My other two Freeview TVs have pixellated pictures on a few channels, even through the amplifier,I get no picture at all from the other TVs without the amp, so the Sony receiver must be decent quality and pretty sensitive.

dspencer999

OK - well I get 100% on the top one, which starts at 20%, and makes it's way gradually up to 100% over about 5 seconds - normal?

And the second one is slightly worse than yours at 94%. Would this make a difference?

cozzykim

I don't think so, sounds good to me.