Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Al_Charles

@elraouk

Just remember, if you purchased on a credit card, you also have extra protection, from the credit card company.

I never purchase anything big via a normal card any longer, due to the consumer protection that comes with CC purchases, even if you then pay the card off before the statement arrives. :grin:

elraouk

Yes, paid for on Mastercard.  All comes down to what they say when (if) they call me back.  The 49" TV is still in a sealed box, as is the soundbar I bought with it.  43" TV has been used, but not damaged (its sound bar is also still in its box, although box has been opened").

Al_Charles

Contact  Mastercard, expain the problems, and that the company does not want to do anything, they can then get involved on your behalf.

Purchases online are also covered by distance selling act rules. but only for 14days from goods arriving, and the company has to be informed by writting. I dont know much more about these, so google would be your friend. 

Here is an interest point, in relation returns, But off topic.

When you first turn the sets on, you have to agree to Google terms and conditions. So what happens if you dont agree, is that grounds also to return the set ?.

Al_Charles

I was wrong about the distance selling rules, they have been changed..

From 13 June 2014 the Consumer Contracts Regulations, which implement the Consumer Rights Directive in UK law, came into effect.

The regulations apply to items bought online, at a distance, or away from a trader's premises (for example, at home or at work).

They replace the Distance Selling Regulations and Doorstep Selling Regulations. They also make it an obligation for traders to give consumers certain information.

Now this gets interesting.

Returning faulty goods

If you receive faulty goods and wish to return them, The Consumer Contracts Regulations are in addition to your other legal rights.

So, if your goods are faulty and don’t do what they're supposed to, or don’t match the description given, you have the same consumer rights under the Sale of Goods Act as you have when buying in store.

Any terms and conditions that say you must cover the cost of returning an item wouldn’t apply where the goods being returned are faulty.

Hope this helps you.

profile.country.GB.title
ZombieFried777

I can log into playstation now fine, but the experience of it is much better on the playstations, not as laggy, apparently when subscription arrives, it will be $19.99 a month in the USA or $44.99 for 3 months. Sony always charges the UK much more so I'm betting it will be £25 a month or £70 for the 3 months. 

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

@ZombieFried777

Or SONY PSN will do its usual trick of thinking conversion of currency's work like for like. so $20 = £20... which still makes you right, we will pay more. 

PS Now did sound good, but I will stick to just buying disk games be it new or pre-owned! 

Think you are the only one I have seen that has the app working thus far too!

CyberSpaniel
Explorer

I have the KD-55X8509C and have this same issue with the Action Menu displaying but not displaying the selected menu item when selected. I'm on the v2287 Firmware the only way i've found to get it working again is to do a full reboot of the television by holding the power button on the remote. Not a deal breaker for me but I hope it gets sorted considering the price of this TV.

profile.country.SE.title
mrcodec
Explorer

Hello, I have also a problem, has now got the TV and update it to the latest version but the sound on the YouTube app is out of sync, the picture is perhaps 5-10 ms for slow so unable to compensate with my str-dn1050 receiver. The sound is equally out of sync when I run without receiver. Thus, the problem is that the sound is already after so unable to compensate if you understand me right. Usually the problem is solved by simply making a setting on the receiver, but this does not work now .. = (

cozzykim

Reboot

Reboot

Reboot

Then try again, sometimes a reboot cures the sound sync problems.

dave_roscoe
Explorer

Morning,

I am new to the forum and unsure where to post.

I have the Sony KDL50W805B Android TV and have encountered problems since I bought it.

-The USB video playback functionality only works after a full initial reset, I have to do this every time I want to watch anything using USB.

-The TV will not update. I am stuck on firmware version PKG2 287 001 0EUA. I have tried updating via USB and on the TV itself. The Sony site states that I should be on version 304?

-The home screeen only updates following the full initial reset (youtube feeds etc).

I have contacted customer services, however once I had tried the basic scripted responses they will not offer any further support. They just keep repeating the same advice (try a different USB etc).

Has anybody else encountered these issues and does anybody know how to resolve them?

Many thanks,

Dave